You heard me right. Penguins. And, really, how could you possibly resist rolling a penguin if you had the option? They're adorable and always so smartly dressed. Forum poster Eldrick gives us a rundown of why penguins would work in the World of Warcraft...
- Classified as "Humanoid"?: They stand on two feet, which is more than the Naga can do.
- Wear gear?: They manage fine with tuxedos; chainmail isn't much more of a stretch from there.
- Wield Weapons?: Okay, no thumbs could be trouble.
- Ride the flying creatures: I've seen Moonkin do it. Pretty much the same build.
- Lore: Penguins have played a prominant role as generic critters since Warcraft 3. Several WC:3 and WC:3 TFT Easter Eggs involve Penguins, including a Penguin King which offers Arthas tribute (signs of a highly organized Monarchy), as well as a mysterious clockerwerk penguin figurine which the Centaur worship in the Rexxar campaign. It is possible that the figurine was crafted by intelligent penguins and ended up washing onto Kalimdor's shores.
- Location: Northrend is remote enough that an entire civilization of sentient Penguins could still be hidden away from the other races.