Good Morning, everyone. It's 4:30 PDT on a Tuesday morning, and you know by now that that means maintenance. For now, most of us will be sitting pretty, with only an hour and a half or so of downtime from 5am to 6:30am PDT. 72 servers, however, will be getting the full treatment, and won't be up until at least 11am PDT. You can see a list of those servers in our original announcement post here.
Since we're coming up on at least an hour of no WoW, if not more for 72 servers and for those stuck at a job or schooling that doesn't allow sneaking in some game time, I would like to, as customary, suggest that you read about WoW, here on WoW Insider. I have a list of some of our best content from the past week organized for your viewing pleasure coming right up after the break.
In raiding news, we had a few world and regional firsts going down, some of them from places you wouldn't expect, and some of them causing more than a little controversy.
- The World First Kil'jaedan kill went to the European guild SK Gaming. They released a video of the kill which is well worth watching if you have any interest in end game raiding or lore.
- The US First Kil'jaedan kill went to Deus Vox of the Laughing Skull Server.
- The Seven delivered the China first Kil'jaedan kill.
- The first drop of the Legendary Bow Thori'dal went to the Stefang of the guild Last Resort on the Skullfist EU server.
- A Druid became the first person in the world to solo Onyxia -- except that there's some confusion over who was playing the account, and if the Hunter who was bought in to solo a bugged add means it's not technically a solo operation.
- A few days later, a Paladin claimed the title of second Onyxia soloer -- possibly first, if you count the Hunter the Druid used.
You can also check out some of our discussions and opinion articles from the past week:
- With all this talk about world firsts and raids, here's a question: Does it really matter to you?
- Do you have a story of a unique, unconventional, or just plain silly dungeon run to share?
- Do you ever wonder how Blizzard's going to deal with professions for all these new level 55 Death Knights? So do we.
- Account sharing, while forbidden by Blizzard, still happens quite often. Join us as we discuss the complications it causes and the responsibilities of the account owner.
- If you have time to listen, check out the podcast of episode 39 of the WoW Insider Show, featuring Veronica Belmont of Mahalo Daily.
- Ever wanted to give back to the Addon development community, even if you don't know your lua from a luau? Sean tells you how.
Here's some of the advice we've handed out this week. There's some pretty handy tips in here that almost any player could make some use of:
- Adam gives good tips for youths -- and really for anyone -- looking to apply for a raiding guild this summer.
- Learn how to tank with Matthew "the Rossinator" Rossi.
- Short on cash? Have a rare T5 or T6 pattern? let Adam show you how to turn that combine into pure gold.
- In WoW, Casually, Robin takes on the task of navigating the raging waters of the official forums.
- If you've thought about rolling a Hunter, you should check out Mark's guide to the class.
If you're looking for the cool and interesting around Azeroth this week, here's a few ideas for you:
- Does the Spirit Healer whisper subliminal messages? Judge for yourself.
- Our new column, Ask a Lore Nerd, is going strong coming into its third week. Check out the word from Alex on Night Elf lifespans and that one Argent Dawn dude in Dun Morogh in the latest installment, and ask your questions in the comments.
- Check out the first article of our new feature series, Illusionary Tactics, on all those cool disguises scattered about in game.
- See how one WoW player is using his car to show off his love of Murlocs.
- Remember, it's the first week of the year, so it's a perfect time to go grab your free gems once the servers are back up -- if the Consortium likes you, of course.
Happy reading, and as always, don't be afraid to adventure out into the site on your own too. There's always a lot of great content. Browse through your favorite categories, tags, and bloggers using the links over on the right, and stay here all day for more news and opinion.