Wowhead keeps adding new features, I know. But this is a big one. Last night, while most of us were busy watching the vice-presidential debate, they launched a fairly sophisticated tool for comparing items or sets of items. Basically, you can add any item or set in the database, and group them up however you want (by dragging items between groups), and then compare groups against each other to see what stats you gain and lose on.
There are tons of additional features to this tool, and it might be worth reading the instructions to see all of what you can do. Some things I particularly like:
- You can add stat weighting scales, to see (an estimation of) how good the item is overall for your class and spec. Click the scores to toggle the display format; I like the percentage display particularly, which shows the "best" group as 100% and everything else in terms of that.
- The "gains" row shows you in short what's different between your groups, by subtracting out all shared stats.
- All item listings on the site now feature checkboxes that you can use to quickly compare items.
- Each group has an option to view in 3D, so you can now finally use Wowhead as your dressing room: just create a group of items you want to look at, click the little triangle on the top bar of the group, and select "View in 3D."
- You can set one group as your "focus" by clicking the little eye icon, which shows all stats relative to that group.
I will definitely be making use of this in the future; it's much easier than figuring it out in your head or making a spreadsheet.