New around here? WoW Rookie points WoW's newest players to the basics of a good start in the World of Warcraft. For links to all our tips, tricks and how-to's, visit WoW.com's WoW Rookie Guide.
If you use the Dungeon Finder with any regularity, you're likely to eventually find yourself grouped with a player who speaks a different language. World of Warcraft is localized (translated) to nearly a dozen different languages, including two versions of English (USA and EU), French, German, Spanish, Russian, Korean and two versions of Chinese. While U.S. and Oceanic players can generally count on groupmates to speak English, things can be quite different elsewhere in the world. Individual Latin American and EU realms tend to attract groups of players from particular areas -- Brazilians on one server, Hungarians gathered on another, Italians dominating still another.
Many players welcome the language barrier as an opportunity to polish their language skills. Still, how do you coordinate your way through a tricky pull with someone who doesn't speak a word of your language?
Let's crowdsource this issue. We've compiled a list of common terms you might use in a PUG. We'd like you to list your translations in the comments, if you are fluent in another language. We're not going to cover Russian, Korean or Chinese, since those players generally do not cross paths with Western players. Please keep your suggestions brief; simplicity trumps elegance. If you'd like to see phrases we didn't include, feel free to suggest them, but keep in mind we're sticking with the basics. We'll compile the list and create a starter guide in next week's Rookie column.
In search of translations
- Thank you
- I don't know.
- I'll tank.
- I'll heal.
- Can you share quests?
- Divine Spirit
- Mark of the Wild
- Arcane Intellect
- Blessing of Kings
- Blessing of Might
- Please turn off Aspect.
- Wait, please.
- Follow me.
- Which way?
- Let the tank pull.
- Don't pull aggro.
- Wait here.
- Need heals.
- Need on items you want for any reason.
- I need this quest.
- I need to kill [X].
- I need to gather [X].
- Let's run back from the graveyard together so we don't get lost.
- Would you like to run another?
Thanks in advance for all your translations! If you'd like to volunteer as an expert resource to review our final translations, drop us a line (including which language you're volunteering to fact-check and why you're qualified [native speaker, etc.]) to lisa (at) wow (dot) com.
Hot links for WoW rookies and fresh 80s
- Visit our ongoing Class/Spec 101 series, covering the basics of playing your specific spec at level 80, in the WoW Rookie Guide.
- The mechanics of stealth for rogues
- Leveling your restoration shaman
- The most sought-after endgame crafting materials
- Hit, crit, haste and armor penetration for hunters
- An introductory guide to fighting rogues
- Enhancement talents for shamans
- Restoration spells and totems for shamans
- Understanding Alliance racial abilities
- Understanding Horde racial abilities
- Best practices for death knights
- Warlocks: using your felguard
Visit the WoW Rookie Guide for links to all our tips, tricks and how-to's, from game lingo for the beginner to joining your first guild as a mid-level player and on to what to do when you finally hit level 80.
Filed under: WoW Rookie