While a lot of news has already been circulating about crafting in Cataclysm, there wasn't much information out there for engineers. Boubouille updated MMO-Champion today about that situation, saying the lack of data is probably because the items aren't flagged as being for engineering. However, the master of data mining was able to pull together some basic information about engineering in Cataclysm, giving us a tantalizing hint of what the future's going to be like for the mad machinists.
Of course, the staple engineering item ever since the Burning Crusade have been helmets and goggles. The quality of these items were so exceptional that you could see enterprising engineers wearing them deep into each expansion. The goggles possess fantastic stats customized to the engineer's specific raid role and they're darn styling, too. What's not to love?
- Reinforced Bio-Optic Killshades Plate gear for melee.DPS
- Specialized Bio-Optic Killshades Plate gear for holy pallies
- Deadly Bio-Optic Killshades Mail goggles for physical DPS
- Energized Bio-Optic Killshades Spell mail for shamans
- Agile Bio-Optic Killshades Leather physical DPS
- Camoflauge Bio-Optic Killshades Leather for spell users
- Lightweight Bio-Optic Killshades Cloth spell gear
But Mike, you ask, what about the rest of the engineer-only enhancements? Well, let's take a look below.
- Gnome-Matic Phase Fingers Permanently attaches gnome-matic phase finger technology to a pair of gloves, allowing a skilled engineer to increase their haste rating by 340 for 12 sec. The gloves can only be activated every minute.
- Quickflip Deflection Plates Permanently attaches quickflip deflection plates onto gloves, allowing you to increase your armor by 1500 for 12 sec. Gloves can only be activated once every minute. Attaching the armor webbing causes the gloves to become soulbound. An Engineering skill of 500 is required to keep the webbing active.
- Tazik Shocker Permanently attaches a tazik shocker to your gloves, allowing a skilled engineer to deal 1654 to 2020 nature damage to an enemy at long range. The shocker can only be used once every 45 sec. Can only be used on the engineer's gloves, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
- Spinal Healing Injector Permanently attaches a specialized injector kit to your belt, allowing you to inject a Mythical Healing Potion directly into your bloodstream for increased effect. Only a skilled engineer can activate the modified belt. Can only be attached to your own belt, and doing so causes the belt to become soulbound.
- Z50 Mana Gulper Permanently attaches a specialized injector kit to your belt, allowing you to power-drink a Mythical Mana Potion for increased effect. Only a skilled engineer can activate the modified belt. Can only be attached to your own belt, and doing so causes the belt to become soulbound.
The Tazik Shocker will be interesting. Remember, for the most part, it's hard to evaluate numbers right now. Since the current damage from Lightning Generator and other effects are in the same range, will the final damage be a lot? Is it nothing? Is it game breaking? Who the hell knows. Maybe melee classes will worship this enchant for the flexibility of a ranged attack, or perhaps we'll mock its meaningless amount of damage. The mana gulper and healing injector are nice little bonuses for the engineer who wants their mana or health potions attached to their belt.
Cogs and pumps: the future!
The other thing that Boubouille has dug up is the new kind of gem socket called "Hydraulics/Cogwheels socket." I think our little steampunk want-to-be engineers have figured out how to add power to armor. This socket seems to function like a gem socket in which only two items can be placed: cogwheels or hydraulic pumps. Again, it's beta, so we don't know much about how this addition will work. But the new engineering-socket would definitely allow engineers to keep parity with the other professions in terms of crafter-bonus.
The bonuses themselves are below, divided by whether it's a hydraulic or a cogwheel.
- Fractured Cogwheel - +132 Mastery Rating
- Quick Cogwheel - +132 Haste Rating
- Smooth Cogwheel - +132 Critical Strike Rating
- Subtle Cogwheel - +132 Dodge Rating
- Flashing Hydraulic Pump - +132 Parry Rating
- Precise Hydraulic Pump - +132 Expertise Rating
- Rigid Hydraulic Pump - +132 Hit Rating
- Sparkling Hydraulic Pump - +132 Spirit
Each week, Insider Trader takes you behind the scenes of the bustling subculture of professional craftsmen, examining the profitable, the tragically lacking and the methods behind the madness.
Filed under: Insider Trader (Professions)