Casual raider? Or not fortunate enough to play a shaman as your main, but instead stuck on another, lesser class? This article is for you. If you need to go out and gear up your shaman from guild alt runs, PUG raids and mucking about in daily dungeons for your two frost emblems, then read on for your gear choices.
From the applications we received over the past few months at Big Crits, it seems that guilds and PUGs alike had a hard time getting past Deathbringer Saurfang -- that is, until the bigger ICC buff hit. Now the breaking point is 6/12 ICC, with kills on Festergut and Rotface being commonplace but little experience beyond that available. Taking into consideration how far casual guilds or alt runs can realistically get into ICC, I've listed the loot in order of progression, from easy to hard.
A frost emblem strategy
To fill four pieces of tier 10 set of Frostwitch's Battlegear, the best-in-slot totem and the accompanying best-in-slot trinket, would require 435 Emblems of Frost. The maximum number of frost emblems you can possibly obtain in one week is 60. That takes into account full clears of both ICC and Ruby Sanctum in 10s and 25s of each, plus completing two ICC weekly raid quests, plus the weekly raid quest in Dalaran, plus running one random dungeon every day, and finally one lowly VoA.
Even collecting the maximum number of emblems each week, it would still take 7.25 weeks to fill out all of that gear. Let's face it, you're reading this article because you don't have access to 60 Emblems of Frost each week for the next two months, so you need a strategy for emblem expenditures.
While the two-piece and four-piece set bonuses are awesome for enhancement, I recommend that fresh 80s go for the Herkuml War Token first. Trinkets are harder to come by than other items, and we're fortunate to have one of our BiS trinkets so readily available. Spend the emblems on the trinket first.
Next spend on shoulders, chest, helm and legs of tier 10, depending on which is the biggest upgrade at the time. The hands are the piece to leave out of your tier 10 set. Finally, if you still have some emblems left after it's all done, buy Bizuri's totem.
The big list
But where's the rest of the loot coming from? Killing stuff -- where else? What follows are two lists for gear, one organized by slot, the other by boss. Use the first list to find your best upgrade options and the second list to prioritize your raid nights. Not that you're one of those players who only shows up when it's a boss you need, right? You're one of those faithful dedicated players who is around every night, for every kill, whether or not it benefits you. Right? Right.
Not every item listed is a best-in-slot item for enhancement, but even an i251 mail piece stacked with armor penetration is better than an i200-level crafted item. If you want a rough approximation of what to replace, simply go for gear with agility plus haste or hit first; next, go for gear with agility and ArP as a second choice; and finally, if no one else is taking it and it's a significant upgrade, take strength gear. I'm not including leather gear, which due to the lack of intellect is normally inferior than mail gear. I also didn't include the strength gear, just out of principle.
The loot below is not ordered by preference; I simply list 10-man loot first, followed by 25-man loot, followed by Halion loot.
- Wodin's Lucky Necklace ICC BoE drop; buy this from the AH if you can afford it
- Precious's Putrid Collar Festergut 10
- Rimetooth Pendant Sindragosa 10
- Sindragosa's Cruel Claw Sindragosa 25
- Baltharus' Gift Halion 10
- Pauldrons of Lost Hope Gunship Battle 10
- Shoulderpads of the Morbid Ritual Professor Putricide 10
- Twilight Scale Shoulders Halion 10
- Linked Scourge Vertebrae Lord Marrowgar 10
- Blood-Drinker's Girdle Blood Prince Council 10
- Nerub'ar Stalker's Cord Festergut 25
- Legguards of the Twisted Dream Valithria Dreamwalker 10
- Taldron's Long Neglected Boots Festergut 10
- Wyrmwing Treads Sindragosa 10
- Treads of the Wasteland Blood Princes Council 25
- Returning Footfalls Halion 25
- Saurfang's Cold-Forged Band Deathbringer Saurfang 10
- Seal of the Twilight Queen Blood Queen Lana'thel 10
- Band of the Bone Colossus Lord Marrowgar 25
- Seal of Many Mouths Rotface 25
- Frostbrood Sapphire Ring Valithria Dreamwalker 25
- Signet of Twilight Halion 25
For an in-depth enhancement trinket analysis, check out this pre-Ruby Sanctum post.
- Whispering Fanged Skull Lady Deathwhisper 10
- Deathbringer's Will Deathbringer Saurfang 25
- Tiny Abom in a Jar - Professor Putricide 25
- Sharpened Twilight Scale Halion 25
I wrote a separate post about weapons, which you can read at your leisure, or peruse the list below.
- Frost Giant's Cleaver Gunship Battle 10
- Gutbuster Festergut 10
- Abomination Knuckles Rotface 10
- Pugius, Fist of Defiance Lich King 10
- Black Bruise Festergut 25
- Keleseth's Seducer Blood Princes Council 25
- Havoc's Call, Blade of the Lordaeron Kings Lich King 25
Icecrown Citadel 10-man
Blood Prince Council
Blood Queen Lana'thel
Icecrown Citadel 25-man
Blood Princes Council
Blood Queen Lana'thel
I also covered Ruby Sanctum loot in a post a few weeks ago.
May all your hits be crits!
Show your totemic mastery by reading Totem Talk. Whether it's Matt Sampson's elemental edition, Joe Perez's coverage of restoration or Rich Maloy's enhancement edition, WoW.com's shaman experts have you covered.