Happy Tuesday morning, everyone. The past few days saw a lot of Cataclysm release date rumors flying around. It seemed like Amazon was constantly waffling between January, December and November, and everyone was reading secret codes on Blizzard's websites and game data. Luckily, however, we do not need to guess anymore. Blizzard has officially announced that the Cataclysm expansion will release on Dec. 7, just in time for both Matthew Rossi's birthday and the feast of St. Nicholas, which is a traditional day of gift-giving in many cultures around the world. Yes, these are hints.
Of course, before Cataclysm, we have patch 4.0.1 to contend with, but the exact date it's going live is still up in the air. Still, with the current arena season ending as early as Oct. 12, it's probably soon. Of course, for those of you who are still sort of confused as to what Cataclysm is and what all the hubbub is about, well, we can help with that too. Of course, all this stuff is off in the future. In the here and now, we have the usual scheduled maintenance window of 5-11 a.m. Pacific time. That means you have plenty of time to catch up on all the news from the past few days, and we have it all right here on WoW Insider.
Hot news and features
- Blizzard has finally released more privacy controls for the Real ID system.
- Check out some of the latest Cataclysm beta server patch notes.
- Check out the latest reversion to the justice point totals we'll be getting with patch 4.0.1.
- Patch 4.0.1 will also bring the new flexible raid lock system.
- Check out the latest models for tier 11 gear for rogues, druids and warlocks.
- The goblins' escape from Kezan cinematic is pretty epic. Don't click if you don't want to get spoiled.
- Totem Talk discusses Cataclysm heroics for restoration shaman.
- Encrypted Text takes a look at Cataclysm heroics from a rogue's perspective.
- Spiritual Guidance has some Cataclysm heroic tips for shadow priests and some tips on Wrath raiding as a patch 4.0.1 healing priest.
- Lichborne discusses some of the latest changes to death knight talent trees and the rise of unholy.
- Shifting Perspectives looks at some of the latest restoration druid updates on Cataclysm beta and balance PvP in Cataclysm.
- The Light And How To Swing It covers patch 4.0.1 for the retribution paladin and Cataclysm heroics for the holy paladin.
- Scattered Shots discusses pet scaling and standing in the good type of fire and extreme soloing in Cataclysm.
- The Care and Feeding of Warrior discusses sundry Cataclysm tanking issues.
- Arcane Brilliance checks up on the latest mage Cataclysm changes.
- Blood Pact crunches some numbers for destruction DPS in patch 4.0.1.
- Cataclysm will bring some cool reputation gear for city factions, perfect for the leveling adventurer.
- The Overachiever covers more achievements that will be going away soon.
- Blood Sport discusses bad momentum in arena PvP.
- The Art of War(craft) discusses assembling a battleground group.
- Gold Capped discusses making money before Cataclysm.
- Addon Spotlight covers equipment and outfit addons.
- Looking for something to do in game? Why not pick up a few disguises?
- Raid Rx looks at the latest in healing UI changes and innovations.
- Check out the latest installment of our newest WoW Insider webcomic offering, Safe Passage.
- On the go? Now you can read WoW Insider on your Amazon Kindle.
- Frostmourne has made an appearance in the latest version of Guitar Hero.
- Oblith has created a machinima guide.
- The Lawbringer looks at how trade chat can get you in trouble.
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm will destroy Azeroth as we know it; nothing will be the same! In WoW Insider's Guide to Cataclysm, you can find out everything you need to know about WoW's third expansion (available Dec. 7, 2010), from brand new races to revamped quests and zones. Visit our Cataclysm news category for the most recent posts having to do with the Cataclysm expansion.