Skip to Content
2-07-2011 @ 8:28PM
"It's a fairly common misconception that a 25% spell critical strike rating means that you will critically hit with your abilities 25% of the time. What 25% spell critical strike rating really means is that every single time you cast, you have a 25% chance on that spell cast to critically hit."Uh, no, it *does* in fact mean that you will critically hit with 25% of your casts... *over an infinite period of time*. Just like a quarter will come up heads 50% of the time. Where people err is in assuming that it then means that it will be 25% crits during *any particular finite chunk of time* (or 50% heads for any finite number of flips). So, yes, there may be a 10-minute period where your 25% crit chance leads to 30% of your attacks being crits, but there will also be a 10-minute period where only 20% of them are. Random implies streaky, which means that looking at small sample sizes will give you results that are either above or below what you'd expect based on pure percentages.
First time? A confirmation email will be sent to you after submitting.
Members enter your username and password.
Enter your AOL or AIM screenname and password.
Please keep your comments relevant to this blog entry. Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments.
When you enter your name and email address, you'll be sent a link to confirm your comment, and a password. To leave another comment, just use that password.
To create a live link, simply type the URL (including http://) or email address and we will make it a live link for you. You can put up to 3 URLs in your comments. Line breaks and paragraphs are automatically converted — no need to use <p> or <br /> tags.