Skip to Content
5-27-2011 @ 3:16PM
*sigh*The whole concept of any class action suit floors me. Sure, I may get a portion of what I paid for the game back.. but that "Texas Hammer" lawyer gets the remainder of what I don't get in lawyer fees. And that is multiplied by every individual that is part of the suit.This is a true example of lawyers being the only winner here.
5-27-2011 @ 3:47PM
The concept of a class action is to allow a potentially large number of claimants to find restitution without cluttering up courts with an unreasonable number of suits all claiming the same thing.If 5,000 people are affected by the same thing, say a cancer drug that ends up passing approval but causes blindness, is it a better solution to tie up one court for each person's claim, or one for all the claims?From your comment, you seem to believe that there are lawyers getting a portion of each claimants settlement, and that's not really how it works. Though, it is how it would work if there were an individual claim made for each affected person.
5-27-2011 @ 4:23PM
The idea of a class action suit is what lawsuits are supposed to do: hold violators accountable. They're not supposed to make anyone rich, they're supposed to redress wrongs. Certainly they make some law firms money, but as we live in a world of byzantine legal codes, I don't see a lot of other options. Lawyers are going to get their cut. Class action lawsuits aren't going anywhere unless someone has a better alternative.
5-27-2011 @ 4:25PM
..Yeah, how it usually works is that the lawyer will take 95% of the reward money in lawyer fees, right off the top, and the other 5% is divvied up amongst the claimants.So you end up getting a check for $0.50
First time? A confirmation email will be sent to you after submitting.
Members enter your username and password.
Enter your AOL or AIM screenname and password.
Please keep your comments relevant to this blog entry. Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments.
When you enter your name and email address, you'll be sent a link to confirm your comment, and a password. To leave another comment, just use that password.
To create a live link, simply type the URL (including http://) or email address and we will make it a live link for you. You can put up to 3 URLs in your comments. Line breaks and paragraphs are automatically converted — no need to use <p> or <br /> tags.