Dragons and spiders and flaming cats, oh my! It is officially summer time here in the UK, so by all rights I should be either talking about the weather or inundating you with extremely bad puns involving heat. Instead, lets talk about the latest in mail-based fashions as we prepare for the Firelands.
As with the previous tier, the gear for tier 12 is obtained through a mixture of justice points, crafting and vendors unlocked by daily quests. The snazziest headgear, weapons and trinkets still require the bravery necessary to take on the later bosses of the Firelands. Tier 12 has a great, if occasionally frustrating, two-piece bonus and the four-piece bonus is nothing to shake a stick at. Our tier itemization is lacking in spirit, so non-tier items in a haste/spirit or mastery/spirit combo will be in demand.
This list does not include gear from heroic modes, but for the most part the heroic versions of the better items are even better. And by "the most part," I mean all. As there is still a week or so to go until patch day, this list is subject to change. If you've just dinged 85, then I suggest checking out the troll gear guide and the pre-raid gear guide to augment items picked up from rep and crafting in patch 4.2. Ready for fire-themed upgrades? Read on.
Hats, glorious hats Reckless Ametrine brings marginally more stamina, approximately 30 crit, 80 spirit, and 3 intellect over the tier helm. The tier helm, combined with the crafted gloves, brings 50 more haste. (That includes a Brilliant Inferno Ruby.) As you can see, the offset helm provides more reforge fodder, so the optimal choice is to take the Crown of Flame. It's also easier to get the four-piece bonus this way, as you will only need to acquire one token.
Hot shoulders with mustard
Cor, look at those chest stats
- Erupting Volcanic Hauberk Vendor: 2,200 valor points
- Gatekeeper's Embrace Drop: Baleroc, The Gatekeeper
Cold cloaks with custard
- Rippling Flamewrath Drape Rep: Avengers of Hyjal (friendly)
- Flowing Flamewrath Cape Rep: Avengers of Hyjal (friendly)
- Wings of Flame Drop: Alysrazor
- Erupting Volcanic Gloves Vendor: 1,600 valor points
- Gloves of Unforgiving Flame Crafted: Leatherworking
- Clawshaper Gauntlets Drop: Alysrazor
- Firemend Cinch Rep: Avengers of Hyjal (honored)
- Footwraps of Quenched Fire Crafted: Leatherworking
- Treads of Implicit Obedience Drop: Shannox
- Fiery Treads Vendor: Damek Bloombeard
If you want the best, and don't already have your hands on the boots from Sinestra, then this Tier is going to cost you. Not only can we get great gloves crafted, the best boots are also crafted (not counting the heroic Treads of Implicit Obedience). The Fiery Treads are a good stop gap once you've unlocked the vendor via the Mount Hyjal dailies, but they simply don't compare to the Footwraps of Quenched Fire.
- Crystalline Brimstone Ring Vendor: 1,250 valor points
- Infernal Signet of the Avengers Rep: Avengers of Hyjal (exalted)
- Quicksilver Signet of the Avengers Rep: Avengers of Hyjal (exalted)
- Crystal Prison Band Drop: Shannox
- Spirit Fragment Band Vendor: Varlan Highbough
- Variable Pulse Lightning Capacitor Drop: Ragnaros
- Fiery Quintessence Rep: Avengers of Hyjal (revered)
- Rune of Zeth/Mark of the Firelord Rep: Avengers of Hyjal (revered)
- Necromantic Focus Drop: Baleroc, The Gatekeeper
- Moonwell Chalice Vendor: Ayla Shadowstorm
- Plumed Sigil of Aviana Vendor: 700 valor points
- Soulflame Vial Vendor: 700 valor points
- Relic of Elune's Light Vendor: Ayla Shadowstorm
- Flowform Choker Drop: Majordomo Staghelm
- Heartstone of Rhyolith Drop: Lord Rhyolith
- Firemind Pendant Vendor: 1,250 valor points
- Amulet of Burning Brilliance Vendor: 1,250 valor points
- Nightweaver's Amulet Vendor: Mount Hyjal quest vendor
- Ko'gun, Hammer of the Firelord Drop: Ragnaros
- Sho'ravon, Greatstaff of Annihilation Drop: Ragnaros
- Masterwork Elementium Spellblade Crafted: Blacksmithing
- Lightforged Elementium Hammer Crafted: Blacksmithing
- Eye of Purification - Unknown
- Chelley's Sterilized Scalpel Drop: Firelands Trash
Off-hands and shields
- Ward of the Red Widow Drop: Beth'tilac
- Goblet of Anger Drop: Shannox
- Molten Scream Drop: Baleroc, The Gatekeeper
- Globe of Moonlight Vendor: Ayla Shadowstorm
A final word
There you have it -- at least 2 crafted items, 3 rep items, 2-4 items from valor points and a couple of items from vendors unlocked by Mount Hyjal dailies. Prestige items like weapons, shoulders, helms and trinkets still need actual boss kills to obtain, but there are decent items available for every slot except perhaps the waist. On the other hand (or hoof), those non-raid items will take consistent dilligence to obtain with any speed.
In terms of valor points purchased, the recommended order is chest, then legs, then relic. Subsequent purchases will depend on what has already dropped in the raids you've attended, but will include necklace, ring, and bracers. Get the leatherworking boots crafted, and grind that Avengers of Hyjal rep for the wonderful rings and belt. The enchants for these items are the same as last tier, focusing on intellect, spellpower, haste and mastery.
Be sure to get your hands on the new Glyph of Unleashed Lightning as soon as your guild scribe learns it, and try to source a blacksmith and leatherworker for the other craftables. With patch 4.2 I am confident that elemental shaman will move a couple of rungs up the DPS ladder as our DPS becomes more robust! Any thoughts, feel free to send me an email, or give me a poke on twitter @mentalshaman.
Show your totemic mastery by reading Totem Talk. Ready to take your elemental shaman up to the new level cap? We'll help you get to level 85, dig into pre-raid gear and DPS trinkets, and find the addons that'll help your performance shine.