Skip to Content
8-25-2011 @ 2:45PM
I think making the game more exciting for 99% of the player base is worth making the game more boring for the other 1% of the player base.
8-25-2011 @ 3:00PM
I probably articulated the argument poorly, but that's really not what the column is about.
8-25-2011 @ 3:04PM
8-25-2011 @ 3:52PM
The argument may have been articulated poorly, but the implied point stands. A fraction of the player base was seeing the endgame content and Blizzard changed that in WotLK. Based on reader comments that I see here and at MMO Champion, this is a bad thing because it means the raiders have to find new ways to make themselves feel superior to the remaining playerbase. Mounts and achievements are Blizzard's answers to that complaint. Your article points out, and rightly so, that this has changed raiding and not necessarily for the better. Still, it is unreasonable to think that Blizzard should spend much of their time designing content no one will see.The fact is this: The company that can successfully address the desires and needs of both hardcore and and casual players is well on their way to having a successful MMORPG. Hardcore raiders, despite their negative opinions of more casual players, can not be allowed to dictate game direction. Devoting a disproportionate amount of resources towards content very few people will see is a waste. The mentality that it is all about the raiders all the time is gone for those companies who wish to appeal to a large audience.
8-25-2011 @ 4:10PM
@TI think the column's pretty clear about the problems that resulted from the "1% of players saw Sunwell" model, and to be frank, I'm not really interested in rehashing the tired hardcore vs. casuals debate. My own position on the matter is pretty close to your own: It's a waste of time, money, and resources for Blizzard to design content that most players will never see. I've been on both sides of the hardcore and casual divide, so I have been (and for that matter, am now) the person with her nose pressed on the glass watching something she can't do. However, I've also raided enough to gain an inkling of how achievements affect the average player's enjoyment of raid content. Saying that raid achievements interact poorly with the normal/heroic raid model is not the same as saying that casual players are useless. It just means that raid achievements interact poorly with the normal/heroic raid model.The original title for this article was "How achievements can make raids less fun." You can imagine how much I'm kicking myself for changing that now. :)
First time? A confirmation email will be sent to you after submitting.
Members enter your username and password.
Enter your AOL or AIM screenname and password.
Please keep your comments relevant to this blog entry. Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments.
When you enter your name and email address, you'll be sent a link to confirm your comment, and a password. To leave another comment, just use that password.
To create a live link, simply type the URL (including http://) or email address and we will make it a live link for you. You can put up to 3 URLs in your comments. Line breaks and paragraphs are automatically converted — no need to use <p> or <br /> tags.