If there's one thing that defines the hunter class, it's our smoldering good looks. But just behind the irresistable allure of our sculpted flesh, the defining aspect of the hunter class is our pets. There is nothing hunters love more than our pets, and the most common questions hunters ask about Mists of Pandaria are about our pets. What will the new pets be? What are their special abilities? Will we get more stable slots (because the extra 20 we got last expansion are already full)? And of course, what about spirit beasts?
Happily, we're far enough into the beta process that we can begin answering some of the questions about new hunter pets. Join me after the cut for the rundown of the new tameable pet types now available and what their new abilities are.
Mists of Pandaria pet rundown
Thus far the new tameable hunter pet families found in Mists are:
- Quilen (exotic)
- Water strider (exotic)
Reminder: In Mists, pets no longer have a specific spec. Instead you can choose whether to make your pet ferocity, cunning, or tenacity, and you can visit a pet trainer to change your pet's spec at any time.
The quilen is a sort of stone lion found in the Wandering Isle of Pandaria. It is an exotic pet, meaning BM only with two special abilities.
- Eternal Guardian Returns the spirit to the body, restoring a dead target to life with 20% health and 20% mana.
- Fearless Roar The quilen lets out a fearless roar, increasing the critical strike chance of all party and raid members by 5%.
The water strider looks like a giant version of those water bugs that wander around the surface of still ponds. It's tameable, and we can assume that we'll find more of them around Pandaria as the beta progresses. The water strider is also an exotic pet, BM-only, bringing two special abilities.
- Still Water Infuses all party and raid members within vision with still water, increasing their spellpower by 10% and their critical strike chance by 5%.
- Surface Trot Allows the hunter and the water strider to walk across water for 10 minutes. Any damage will cancel the effect.
We've seen these guys around the game forever, and now they can learn to love and serve us, bringing and interesting new buff with them.
- Petrifying Gaze Turns the target into stone for 3 seconds, causing them to be invulnerable.
These new pets are found chillin' along banks throughout Pandaria, and all the ones I've seen so far are not hostile.
Yup, that's right. We can get a pet goat, according to datamined information. Sadly, it does not have an ability that involves eating anything in the game.
- Trample Your goat tramples the enemy, kicking up an obscuring cloud of dust, causing all enemies within 10 yards to have their melee and ranged attack speed reduced by 20% for 30 seconds.
These delightful fellows enchanted hunters from day one of the Mists beta, back when none of the new pets were tameable. It turns out they weren't intended to be tameable, but Ghostcrawler stepped into a forum thread to say that they would be made a tameable pet.
- Paralyzing Quill Fires paralyzing quills around the porcupine, incapacitating all enemies for 2 seconds.
Everyone always asks about new spirit beasts, but thus far we have no official word on new spirit beasts in Mists. MMO-Champion datamined an image of what looks like a new cat spirit best, which you can see here, but we don't know for certain if this will be a hunter pet.
I've no doubt that we will see new spirit beasts, however -- every expansion brings new ones. But so far, we haven't found any in the beta yet.
Scattered Shots is dedicated to helping you learn everything it takes to be a hunter. From leveling your hunter and choosing the best patch 4.2 gear to learning the DPS value of skill, we've got you covered. If you're stuck in one of the nine support classes, why not move up to the big league and play a hunter?