Their intention was to make the saurok their enforcers, their troops, their battle-worthy servants that would reinforce borders and protect the mogu empire. Instead the saurok grew out of control, so much so that the mogu emperor lead a campaign to rip the souls out of the rebellious reptiles.
Now, you may be thinking about that old saying, "my enemy's enemy is my friend," right? Well, unfortunately that's not true all of the time -- in this case we just have two enemies, much like that one Shado-Pan daily. While the saurok don't have the resources or power of the mighty mogu, they are still quite the nuisance.
There are a number of saurok champions scattered across Pandaria, all of which share the following abilities:
- Grappling Hook Much like Rushing Charge, Grappling Hook will prevent you from straying farther than 20 yards away from the target, at least for more than 5 seconds at a time.
- Vanish The saurok sheds all DoTs and disappears into the shadows. Don't freak out like I did the first time I fought one; it didn't evade, it just took the cowardly rogue's way out. You do have a shot at hitting the saurok before he disappears, so make it count.
- Smoked Blade If you failed to bring the saurok out of stealth, he will use Smoked Blade which hits for 55% of your health.
- Vicious Rend A stacking bleed that deals moderate damage, Vicious Rend also functions to provide a sort of soft enrage for the saurok rares -- you need to kill them before the damage from the bleed, in addition to other sources, becomes unmanageable.
The saurok rare spawns might be a little tough if your damage output is low, but most should be able to take these out with a few cooldowns here and there. Just remember to stay within 20 yards, keep your cool when they stealth, and use any debuff clearing abilities (Divine Shield, Ice Block, etc) if you're having trouble managing Vicious Rend. If you don't take the champion out of stealth immediately after he uses Vanish, spamming an AoE ability to flush him out should work just fine.
These strong-arm salamanders can be found in the following zones:
- Arness the Scale Found in Krasarang Wilds, drops Arness's Scaled Leggings.
- Moldo One-Eye Found in Vale of Eternal Blossoms, drops Panflute of Pandaria.
- Nessos the Oracle Found in Kun-Lai Summit, drops Hardened Shell.
- Omnis Grinlok Found in Dread Wastes, drops Golden Fleece.
- Salyin Warscout Found in Valley of the Four Winds, drops Salyin Battle Banner.
- Sarnak Found in The Jade Forest, drops Fishsticker Crossbow.
- Siltriss the Sharpener Found in Townlong Steppes, drops Big Bag of Skins.
Mists of Pandaria is here! The level cap has been raised to 90, many players have returned to Azeroth, and pet battles are taking the world by storm. Keep an eye out for all of the latest news, and check out our comprehensive guide to Mists of Pandaria for everything you'll ever need to know.
Filed under: Mists of Pandaria