Every Thursday, WoW Insider brings you Scattered Shots for beast mastery, marksmanship and survival hunters. Frostheim of Warcraft Hunters Union and the hunter podcast uses logic and science (mixed with a few mugs of dwarven stout) to look deep into the hunter class. Mail your hunter questions to Frostheim.or ask him on Google+
Included in this gear is our new tier 15 set: Saurok Stalker's, which is a spiky looking set with a helm that bears a suspicious resemblence to a lizard is eating our heads. Fun Saurok Stalker's set activity: get to just the right depth in water and can make it look like a crocodile head floating on the surface. Then jump out and kill something.
On to the gear!
Tier 15 set bonuses
Probably the first thing to take a look at is the tier 15 set bonuses:
- 2-piece bonus: Your Steady Shot and Cobra Shot have a chance to summon a Thunderhawk to fight for you for the next 10 sec.
- 4-piece bonus: Your Arcane Shot, Multi-Shot, and Aimed Shot have a chance to trigger a Lightning Arrow at the target dealing 100% damage as Nature.
The 4-piece bonus can also crit, is affected by SV mastery, and doesn't proc MM's Wild Quiver. The proc rate is about 3 procs per minute. Interestingly, unlike the 2-piece bonus, the 4-piece seems to definitely favor SV, but possibly they'll do a similar adjustment to proc rates to balance it out.
Overall I'm not thrilled with the set bonus design, but I'm not at all upset either. It's not exciting, but at least it doesn't complicate our rotation or give us another button to press.
We are almost certainly going to want to use the new set, which means that four of the five possible set piece slots will be dedicated to Saurok Stalker's gear. As always, you usually don't want to break a previous set bonus until you can replace it with a new set bonus. Thus when you get your first piece of Saurok Stalker's gear, you don't want immediately break your tier 14 set bonus -- instead wait until you have at least two tier 15 pieces.
- Necklace of the Terra-Cotta Archer
- Flanker's Battletags
- Quadra-Head Brooch
- Talisman of Living Poison
- Saurok Stalker's Spaulders
- Targetblinder Spaulders
- Abandoned SPaulders of Arrowflight
- Static-Shot Shoulderguards
- Saurok Stalker's Tunic
- Sul'lithuz Sandmail
- Aberrant Chestguard of Torment
- Carapace of Segmented Scale
- Powderburn Bracers
- Bracers of Mutagenic Fervor
- Beady-Eye Bracers
- Saurok Stalker's Gloves
- Gauntlets of the Longbow
- Synapse-String Handguards
- Grips of Cinderflesh
- Saurok Stalker's Legguards
- Homeguard Leggings
- Conduit-Breaker Chain Leggings
- Spearman's Jingling Leggings
- Miracoran, the Vehement Chord (bow)
- Voice of the Quilen (gun)
- Durumu's Baleful Gaze (crossbow)
- Shattered Tortoiseshell Longbow (bow)
Ah, trinkets are a whole other conversation entirely ... we don't know yet what the internal cooldowns and proc rates for the 5.2 trinkets will be (at least not as of this writing) so we'll hit them up next week in hopes that we have enough information to do the trinket math, which will also let us compare the new trinkets to upgraded versions of old ones.
Scattered Shots is dedicated to helping you learn everything it takes to be a hunter. From leveling your hunter to learning the DPS value of skill, we've got you covered. If you're stuck in one of the nine support classes, why not move up to the big league and play a hunter?