One of the most fun aspects of BlizzCon is the chance to toss a few back with friends, guildies, and fellow con-goers. Or, if you're a Virtual Ticket kind of person, you can invite some folks over and get your con on that way. Either way, there's probably some form of libation involved. Now, BlizzCon is all about personalities, so those are the types of drinks we've got, with the addition of the obligatory Horde and Alliance drinks. So go on and raise a glass to World of Warcraft with some of these appropriately-themed drinks!
For the purposes of this column, know that 1 oz = 1 measure = 1 shot, roundabouts. Cheers!
- Blue and Gold - 1/2 oz blue curacao, 1/2 oz Goldschlager. Pour both into shot glass, toss back, feel invigorated. For the Alliance!
- Red and Black - 1/2 oz Kahlua, 1/2 oz grenadine syrup. Layer the syrup on top of the Kahlua in a shot glass and admire your handiwork before downing. For the Horde!
Our beloved (or reviled) faction leaders are always there for us, sometimes in multiple places at once. They've got it rough, you've got to admit. The last few years in Azeroth have not been the most relaxing, and there's no sign of relief on the horizon. Here's a few secrets as to how they cope with all that stress and demon magic.
- King Wrecked - 1 oz gold tequila, 1/2 oz Mandarine Napoleon, 1 oz Tia Maria. Stir ingredients with ice until cold, then strain into a tumbler half filled with ice. Garnish with a twist of orange. Enough of these will make you feel like there's two of you, too!
- Muradin's Hammer - Half fill a glass with dark, dry stout (Guinness works), then top it up with brut champagne. Hey, they may be dwarves, but they are royalty.
- High Tinker Tipple - 1 oz gin, 1 oz dry vermouth, 1 oz sweet red vermouth. Shake ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Ever wonder how Mekkatorque comes up with all his wacky invention ideas? Now you know!
- Wolfsbane - 1.5 oz Scotch, 1.5 oz Drambuie. Pour over ice and stir gently. Try not to bite anyone who attempts to take a sip (a punch in the nose should be just as effective).
- High Priestess of the Moonshine - 1.5 oz gin, 1 oz white creme de cacao, 1 oz heavy cream. Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with shaved white chocolate. Particularly suitable if your boyfriend has been narcoleptic for 10,000 years.
- Prophetic Potion - 2 oz absinthe, 2 oz water, dash Agnostura bitters, dash simple syrup. Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Enjoy your visions of the Burning Legion!
- Osh Sloshed Garrosh - 2 oz absinthe, 3 oz vodka, 1 oz brandy, 1.5 oz gin, 1.5 oz blackberry liqueur. Mix everything together and drink. Decide that taking over Kalimdor, invading foreign nations, alienating all your colleagues, and releasing 10,000 years worth of eldritch horror sounds like a great idea.
- Trollipops - 1 oz dark rum, 1/2 oz Southern Comfort, 1/2 oz creme de banane, 1/4 oz lime juice, and lemon-lime soda. Fill a tumbler with ice, and add the rum, Southern Comfort, creme de banane, lime juice, and stir. Top up with lemon-lime soda. Pretend you're hanging out on the sunny Echo Isles, or languishing in Pandaria with your throat slit. Either way.
- Head Bull In Charge - 1 can Red Bull, 2 oz Jaegermeister. Pour Red Bull into a highball glass filled with ice, then add the Jaeger. Down quickly. Warstomp EVERYTHING.
- Hot Zombie - 1.5 oz cognac, 3/4 oz calvados, 3/4 oz sweet red vermouth. Shake well with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. You too will feel like the walking dead after two or three of these.
- Ranger Danger - 1.5 oz cognac, 1/2 oz Grand Marnier, 1/2 oz Galliano. Stir ingredients with ice until chilled, and strain into a tumbler. Garnish with a twist of orange rind. You've got to cope with what happened in Dalaran somehow.
- Money Shot - 2 oz vodka, 1 oz green Chartreuse. Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a pickled cocktail onion. Enough of these will give you a visceral understanding of why Gallywix hasn't gotten out of bed since Cataclysm.
WoW Insider Affiliates
We love the folks we work with! You should too. Raise your glass in their honor!
- Perc-y Punch - 1 oz vodka, 1 oz sweet red vermouth, 1 oz orange curacao, 2/3 oz gin, 2/3 oz cherry brandy, dash Agnostura bitters, 2 oz dry ginger ale, 2 oz lemon-lime soda, and assorted berries. Stir the vodka, vermouth, orange curacao, gin, and cherry brandy with ice to chill. Strain into a highball glass full of ice and berries. Add the bitters, then top up with the ginger ale and lemon-lime soda. Garnish with mint and lemon, and cheer on Perculia's incredible database work at Wowhead. /salute!
- Pink Panser - 1.5 oz gin, 1/2 oz grenadine, 1/2 oz heavy cream, 1/4 oz lemon juice, 1.5 tbsp egg white. Sugar the rim of a champagne saucer or wine glass. Shake ingredients well with ice until the drink is cold and frothy, then strain into the sugared glass. Garnish with a cherry. The drink should be the color of Panser's hair and just as good as she is!
If you run into any of us at the convention or at our party on Thursday, don't be surprised if we've got one of these drinks in tow. What do you think gets us through con week?!
- Alex Ziebart's Old Fashioned - 2 oz brandy, spoonful of sugar, 3 dashes Agnostura bitters, splash of soda water, slice of orange, 1 maraschino cherry. Add the sugar and bitters to a tumbler and muddle the slice of orange with them. Fill up the glass with ice, pour in the brandy and soda water, garnish with the cherry. A classic drink for our classic EiC.
- Holisky Russian - 1 oz vodka, 1 oz Kahlua, 1 oz whipping cream. Shake well with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Probably drink too many. By Holisky's word, we abide.
- Gray Out - Stout. Dark as possible. Lots of it. Gets you through MovieWatch submissions.
- Sacco'd - 2 oz white rum, 4 oz coconut milk. Shake with ice, strain into a rocks glass half filled with ice. Sweet and smooth, just like Sacco himself.
- Anne-Slam - 1 oz vanilla vodka, 1 oz Kahlua, 1 oz heavy cream, 1/2 oz Frangelico. Shake all ingredients together and pour into a big cup of coffee. Wake up in style. Stickney style!
- Sweet and Low - 1/2 oz white rum, 1/2 oz vodka, 1/2 oz gin, 1/2 oz silver tequila, 1/2 oz Cointreau, juice from 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 oz simple syrup, 4 oz cola. Stir all ingredients except the cola with ice to chill. Strain into highball glass filled with ice cubes and a twist of lemon. Add the cola and garnish with a sprig of mint. Consider this one Matticus' Lightwell, because that's how your head will feel when you're done.
- Saucy Rossi - 1 oz gin, 1 oz apricot brandy, 1 oz calvados. Shake with ice, and strain into a cocktail glass. Sophisticated and unrelenting, just like the man himself.
- Her Grace - Single malt Scotch. Expensive single malt Scotch. From a good distillery. No skimping, or Olivia will hunt you down. She knows, man. She knows.
- Lisa Boisso(n) - 3 oz green tea, 1 oz Scotch whisky. This drink can be served either hot or over ice in a tumbler, but the proportions are crucial. How do you think Lisa gets through the Drama Mamas column?
- Waffle Bolt - 1.5 oz Goldschlager, 3/4 oz Kahlua, 3/4 oz cream or milk. Shake well and serve in a cocktail glass. In case you missed it the first time he made it famous, Joe "Lodur" Perez insists it tastes like a cinnamon waffle!
- Wacky's Pink Ativan - 1.5 oz Ciroc Peach Vodka, 1.5 measures lemon-lime soda. Top up with X-Rated Fusion liqueur. Serve straight up, preferably after a night shift with Ms. Wachowsky!
- Tequila Dawn - 2 oz gold tequila, 4 oz orange juice, 1/2 oz grenadine. Half-fill a highball glass with crushed ice. Pour in the tequila, then the orange juice. Add the grenadine by pouring it down the back of a spoon held against the inside of the glass. It should sink to the bottom and give this drink its famous color bands. Dawn Moore's tried-and-true cure-all for dealing with gaming-related stress.
- Marshapple Cider - 2 oz Crown Royal, 2 oz Sour Apple Pucker schnapps, 2 oz cranberry juice. Pour all ingredients into a highball glass filled with crushed ice and stir. Pretend you're hanging out with Kristin and myself in the Evergreen State on top of the Space Needle and chatting about WoW.
- Standard Dan 1 - 2 oz London dry gin, 1 oz tonic water, 1 oz ginger ale. Pour into a tumbler full of crushed ice and stir. Hold glass to forehead as your and Dan Desmond's raiders die to Foul Stream.
- Rockin Robin - 1.5 oz white rum, 1 tbsp sugar, 3 lime wedges, 10 mint leaves, soda water. Muddle together two lime wedges with the mint leaves and sugar in a rocks glass. Fill the glass with crushed ice and pour over the rum. Top up with soda water and garnish with the last lime wedge. Raise your glass to Robin Torres for such a fantastic idea!
- Walsh's Turpentine - 2 oz cheap white tequila, 1/4 oz triple sec, dash lime juice, tonic water. Pour tequila, triple sec, and lime juice into a tumbler with crushed ice, top up with tonic water, and stir. Lose track of how much tequila you've had and cease to care.
- Standard Dan 2 - 2 oz dark rum, 2 oz cola. Like the Standard Dan 1, serve in a tumbler full of crushed ice. This one comes by way of Dan Whitcomb. The classics always deliver.
- Steady Shot - 1 shot Amaretto, half a glass of beer, half a glass of cola. Pour the beer and cola into in a glass and drop in the shot of Amaretto. Chug the whole thing as fast as you can. E-mail Adam Koebel with all your crackpot hunter column ideas!
- Helfand Hand - 2 oz dark rum, ginger ale. Pour rum into a rocks glass filled with cracked ice. Top up with ginger ale and stir. Scott attests that it won't help your stealth, but it might help with evasion tanking. For a while. A short while.
- Vodka Vidalya - 1 oz vodka, 1 oz cococut cream, 2 tbsp chocolate ice cream, strawberries. Add everything to a blender and blitz for about 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with another strawberry. The most delicious Frostbolt ever!
- Mad Scozen Elixir - 2 oz Jack Daniels, 2 oz Dr. Pepper, pinch of wasabi. Shake together and serve. Guaranteed to crit your mouth!
- Pine Sal - 1.5 oz gin, 1 tsp white creme de menthe, 1 tsp green creme de menthe. Shake ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Few of these and you'll be sleeping in the Emerald Dream for weeks, just like my poor neglected druid.