There's a lot of confusion about the upcoming level 90 character boost and how it's going to work. While we won't know the final form of the service until it's been rolled out, it's been active on the PTR for a while now, so we can draw some conclusions based on how it's working there. Of course, the usual caveats apply - none of this is set in stone, it's the PTR, things can change.
- You cannot apply the 90 boost to a level 90 (and presumably above) character. So don't worry about that happening.
- You can apply the boost to an existing character on your account, or you can create a new level 1 character at the time you apply the boost.
- If you boost an existing character who is at or above level 60, you get a Veteran's Bonus that boosts your professions to 600. You won't have to go back to level them, which is nice.
- You pick a specialization during the process, which informs the starter gear you get.
- You do not have to apply the boost immediately upon purchase. If it is not applied, there's an icon on your selection screen that tells you it's ready to be applied.
- Until the boost process is completed, you cannot log in that character. This seems common sense to me, but it's still worth mentioning.
- We still don't know how much it's going to cost, but recent statements during last week's press event make it seem likely that it will be at the $60 we saw briefly.