Full patch notes have been released, and to our surprise, they are not the latest version of the PTR patch notes. Ghostcrawler has announced not everything has made it into the live patch due to balancing reasons and there may be immediate hotfixing to balance out everything.
Read on for a guide to what you can expect, but realize this may change as we dig into the patch and find out what made it and what didn't:
- New class spells, talents, and abilities: Hit our Skill Mastery posts to see coverage on new skills being introduced in patch 3.0.2. In addition, our class columnists have assessed skill and talent changes and how they're likely to affect gameplay:
- Raid leaders can also quit pulling their hair out over group composition, as most raid buffs will now be raid-wide...but it comes at a price.
- Inscription introduced as a new primary profession: Eliah Hecht nabbed some early information a week after the beta hit, and Daniel Whitcomb switched to Inscription there and wrote a guide to getting started and initial impressions. Elizabeth Harper from Ask A Beta Tester also took a lot of questions on Inscription here with a follow-up post here when it became possible to level it to 400 in the beta. As Eyonix notes in the original thread, you'll only be able to level Inscription to 375 in BC; once Wrath goes live and you have it installed, you'll be able to level Inscription to Grand Master.
Gallery: Wrath of the Lich King: Inscription
- Achievements: The long-awaited Achievements arrive with this patch. They range from simple to attain to rare, one per server titles. You can't run out and get all of them since many require Wrath, but there are many that don't. Start with 5 Achievements you can get immediately, World PvP Achievements or even 10 of our favorite Achievements.
Gallery: Ten great Achievements
- Stormwind Harbor: if you're Alliance, head over to northwestern Stormwind to see the brand-new harbor built to transport explorers to the Borean Tundra (if you're Horde, you can still go to Stormwind, I guess, as long as you don't expect a warm welcome). We have a full gallery if you'd like to see it but don't have any characters in the beta or on the PTR.
Gallery: Stormwind Docks
- Calendar added to the default UI: looks like Blizzard is treading on turf you once had to download Group Calendar to get, but now you'll be able to see when ingame events like holidays and the Darkmoon Faire are scheduled to occur. Eliah Hect has a video preview of the calendar in action.
- Barbershops: if you've been ruing your hairstyle or color choices since the day you created your main, or if you just think it's time for a change, barbershops will now be available in major cities. We've also got links to new hairstyle photos so you can plan ahead.
Gallery: Wrath of the Lich King: Barbershop
- New arenas: Patch 3.0.2 will also see the introduction of the Dalaran and Orgrimmar arenas first announced at the Worldwide Invitational. Zach Yonzon has thoughts on their design and the type of gameplay they're likely to encourage. Not a ton of information since then on how (or whether) these evolved from when they were first discussed at the WWI panel, so if you see them on the PTR, please let us know how they turned out. Also, Season 4 is being put on hold.
- One thing we won't be seeing anymore: Amani War Bears. Unless Blizzard changes this at the last moment, they're not going to wait for Wrath before taking the timed four-chest Zul'Aman reward out of the game.
- As with every major patch, AddOns become outdated. We have you covered with our guide to essential AddOns for Patch 3.0.2.
- Finally, a guide to Spellpower and why you aren't seeing the stats you're used to on your caster gear anymore.
Click here for the latest news on the "Echoes of Doom" patch.