Skip to Content

WoW Insider has the latest on the Mists of Pandaria!
  • Duffy
  • Member Since Aug 10th, 2007

Are you Duffy? If So, Login Here.

BlogComments
Engadget1 Comment
WoW38 Comments
Massively14 Comments

Recent Comments:

The Daily Grind: One server vs. many servers {Massively}

Jan 15th 2010 1:12PM With current tech most traditional MMOs should, and I prefer the experience in most cases, use separate servers.

Is EVE's setup awesome? Yes. Is it impractical for something in the style of and on the scale of WoW? Yes. Ideally one world rules, but unfortunately we tend to need to bow to practical application. When your option is heavy parallel instancing or separate servers, I think the latter wins.

And even acknowledging EVE's awesome scope, don't forget that EVE is heavily instanced and filled with loading screens, it's just well disguised. The only unifying point is the chat client and game database.

The Daily Grind: Punish or protect? {Massively}

Nov 16th 2009 9:14AM I think most death penalties are ultimately wastes of time and effort. Some fit certain games, EVE's does not particularly bother me, but XP loss, debuffs, or death debt are really silly systems that do what exactly? Slow you down? To what purpose? To punish you for doing something you weren't "supposed" to do?

Such penalties discourage exploration and experimentation which is what anything resembling an RPG should be about.

Officers' Quarters: More loot-rolling shenanigans {WoW}

Nov 2nd 2009 4:21PM @It's not that

Umm...no.

Let's say there are 4 rollers for your class. You look at their loot and realize only 1 of them can get upgrades from the run. You rejoice at your 50% chance on all loot for your class, what luck!

Part way through the run your classes loot drops, you prepare for your 50% chance only to discover it's actually a 25% chance as the over geared players roll off too. No one mentioned these loot rules at the start and you are now locked to the instance. One of them wins and passes it to their undergeared buddy. That person has an effective 75% chance to win every single roll for his classes gear. So even using your math that you always have a 25% chance to lose, that guys still has a 75% to win instead of an equal 25% to win. You can pretend that "giving your roll away" somehow keeps the odds, but it doesn't, it changes them to his favor. Why should the odds be skewed in his favor? That's pretty much the definition of "unfair".

The gist of it is you are greedy and don't want to admit your level of selfishness, you rather pretend to maintain some illusion of generosity to, get this, only your friends. You are saying screw that guy, we want to stack the odds in our favor just because we can.

Yea, wouldn't PUG with you guys.

Enter to win a Creative WoW wireless headset {WoW}

Sep 30th 2009 11:32PM I would love to win.

Enter to win a Creative World of Warcraft wireless headset {WoW}

Sep 24th 2009 11:12AM I would love to win this

The Daily Grind: How much retcon is too much retcon? {Massively}

Aug 10th 2009 10:15AM I think the problem you are having is differentiating between a true RP experience/game and an MMO, most MMOs are mechanics based games, not RP based games. And when mechanics are what make or break the game, bad "number" choices can ruin your ability to play. Should someone be punished for making "wrong" choices they weren't aware of or couldn't foresee? Or if a development change down the road alters there character? I think not.

As such does it really matter if they allow race or faction changes? Maybe you are sick of looking at the race you initially picked for whatever reason. Or perhaps you have a bunch of friends on the opposite faction. I think the reason these services are appearing is not to generate revenue (I doubt they truly generate enough to be worth it), but to facilitate the player base to keep playing, because ultimately, these changes don't mean much aside from personnel taste. And the limitations/price are in place to prevent those who would "manipulate" the system. (Various examples can be given if asked for.)

In all honesty it's incredibly hard to make a true RPing game on the same scale of most MMOs. Sure, people can RP within most of them, but there isn't truly enough support to flesh out the experience.

Comparing to the pen and paper RPGs is not fair. They are designed with flexible rule sets and the game is only as "mechanically hard" as your DM makes it. If you design a well rounded character to actually RP, you will not be punished for it because the DM can account for it.Try to do that with MMO mechanics . (If you can you should immediately pitch your idea to a dev studio and start counting your money).

This really appears to be a case of apples to oranges. This is why I play MMOs for a mechanics game and still attend my pen and paper RP group. They are two different things.

Ulduar nerfs and Blizzard's new raid philosophy {WoW}

May 2nd 2009 2:48PM You claim it was somehow watered down, but failed to actually state how. What you really said is: "We did all this awesome lore stuff through raids and someone I don't know but is probably inferior to me because of some random bs I thought up also did it which detracts from my experience somehow even though I have not done it with these people, have met them, or have their actions effected my experience playing the game aside from in my own head."

Martin Fury: What would you have done? {WoW}

May 1st 2009 3:51PM @Dreadly

And instead of reporting something that is completely out of context of anything else in the game they hide it and use it. Yes it's blizzards fault they got it in the first place, but it's still Karate's fault they used it, he is responsible for his own actions and the results there of.

Blizzard gets an F at the Better Business Bureau {WoW}

Apr 20th 2009 3:55PM I think the problem is the amount of people who occupy their time with crap.

I wish we could go back and shoot whoever came up with the "customer is always right."

Blizzard did the wrong thing with Ulduar-10 emblems {WoW}

Apr 10th 2009 4:01PM I have to disagree. You want an over complicated system for what reason? So you can have something pretty or mildly cooler?

There are clear and separate progressions. As a 10man raider I do not currently have access to Valor loot, with Ulduar 10, I will. Likewise, the majority of it will or should be replaced with actual Ulduar drops, much like heroic badge gear was replaced by actual Naxx 10man drops.

Your complaint is baseless and would actually break the gear curve Blizz is building into their loot system.