Apr 25th 2009 6:58PM I love that it's easier to fish now. I'm a cook, and although not an avid fisherman, it was just a pain to do in the past. With this change I can now do all the fishing dailies even with a lower skill.
It's still possible to find secluded spots to fish, I do and I'm brand new at it. Take the time to talk to others crowding you out of schools, maybe you can educate them.
Apr 14th 2009 1:08PM @K
"Ever heard of code.google.com? Or sourceforge.net maybe?"
Yes, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of for hosting the addon content. You still need somebody to aggregate a list though.
"WI and curse are hosting them on their own sites because they make money from other people's work - just what they're accusing wowmatrix of."
No, that's not the problem. The problem is that WoWMatrix the way it works before today, will likely lead to the death of curse and WoWInterface.... who host the files, killing WoWMatrix as well in effect.
Somebody like Google has the bandwidth and $ to host it all and not even notice. A much more sustainable solution. Now if WoWMatrix could put a deal together with Google to host the files... probably with some Google advertising deal, and they could get the addon authors to use it, we'd have a workable solution.
Apr 14th 2009 10:36AM "The community should be in an uproar about this... time to start a #wowinterfacefail campaign."
And that would be a good solution how? You don't get it, if WoWInterface and Curse go down, WoWMatrix is also useless.
Apr 14th 2009 9:51AM This was bound to happen. You can cry all you want, but there is no way Curse and WoWInterface can pay all the bandwidth and hosting bills to provide add ons while WoWMatrix scoops all the advertising. It's not sustainable. Either WoWMatrix needs to host them itself, Curse and WoWI will block them, or Curse and WoWI will collapse due to high expenses and no revenue to cover it. No matter how you slice it, the current situation will not last. You can "boycott" Curse and WoWI all you want... if you are a WoWMatrix user it doesn't hurt them, you effectively boycott them now while at the same time using their bandwidth and hosting to get your files.
What would be great is if there was a free central repository where the bandwidth bills were a drop in the bucket to a bigger company... like say Google or MS... that would host the addons and then let WoWMatrix do their thing.
I don't trust any program to automagically update my addons, so I update my addons manually. It's easy for me to see what to update with WoWInterface's "Favourites" feature. I tried WoWMatrix and it's nice, but I understood how they were getting all the benefit for none of the cost so I prefer to support the addon sites by visiting them directly.
Mar 25th 2009 5:48PM Glad to see this article, but I wish you'd given it more time.
I am Meta since 3.01 dropped, and I have a ball with it. Some points to help out:
1. Keep immo up - it's a really high DPCT spell.
2. Use Meta every cooldown - on trash it's awesome with 3+ mob pulls. That includes hitting trinkets, and getting close for Immo Aura + Rain of Fire. 3 min cooldown is not so long that you have to save it up hit it every pull it's up!
3. On boss fights as mentioned above, hit Meta with BL/Heroism + trinkets + Pot. of Wild Magic. (BL+Meta is so much haste a speed pot is hitting diminishing returns.) Make sure you are using Charge to get in Immo Aura range of the boss, then continue your rotation. Optimally refresh Curse of Doom during your Meta.
4. On trash Maybe a Corr or 2 (if your tank needs a few seconds for threat) and just Rain of Fire your brains out when Meta isn't up.
5. Always have your Demonic Circle set to back out of range on boss fights where you might get squished. Don't use it unless you must, and pay attention to positioning - you want to charge in to where the rogues are standing basically. Better than teleporting back out to range is just standing there, or if you must move run back while you are refreshing your curse and corruption to not waste a GCD.
6. A buffed Felguard does a really nice portion of your DPS - like 20-30%. This means the threat is split and you will not have threat problems. It does mean you might want to turn your Felguard's taunt off in groups - saves him mana for cleave anyway.
7. Save your healer in groups. I turn off the FG's charge and taunt in groups, but I macro a "healer save" Felguard attack that turns it and charge back on so I can use him to pick up adds that go for my healer. If that doesn't work, pop Meta, demon charge, immo aura, and taunt. I've got 600% armor so I can take a few smacks until the tank can peel.
8. Offtank! Especially in 5 mans when things go wrong, your Felguard can handle adds for long enough to save a wipe. Keep your eyes open... between that and a SS on the healer, you can save the day.
Side benefit: For those of us who solo quest & do lots of 5-man raids, the DP buff is great and the tough demons are awesome for soloing.
If you are a raider with Wrath totems up - you can spec 0/51/20 instead with no DP and do more personal DPS.
Mar 17th 2009 9:50AM I've been rocking Meta since 3.01 came out pre-wrath and having a blast. YES, Meta is worth it IMO. On a given boss like Patch there are other higher DPS specs, no argument there. But it's not all about that.
For me, I'm pretty casual and I do mostly 5-man, heroics, and quest. I loves me my flying purple monkey mode. Great pet, I can solo crazy stuff with my VW, and I've got excellent burst and AoE. The Demonic Pact buff for y our group is excellent if you are not rocking a raid with somebody putting out an equivalent buff. Hitting Meta with your trinket and during Bloodlust/Heroism, plus popping a Wild Magic pot will give you really nice burst numbers when you do it right. It might not be for everybody, but I have a blast with it.
Mar 13th 2009 11:31AM Much better article than last one. Ignore those who said wait to 3.1, I'd much rather see some regular thoughtful posts like this that we can discuss.
Good job overall. I can't wait to see you try Destro and Meta/Ruin. When 3.1 comes out you get another set of articles re-examining and comparing each spec. I'd read 'em all, and I'm sure it will generate plenty of good discussion.
Mar 6th 2009 10:22PM Why they listed the Doomguard cooldown reduction under Demonology I have no idea.
Yeah it makes no sense. The warlock who specializes in demons, who specs deep demonology... it's a DPS loss to summon a Doomguard. Now if they fix it so all my Demonology buffs apply to a Doomguard just like a Felguard so it's a 500 DPS boost for Demonology locks like it is for Affliction and Destro locks, then I could get behind it.
Mar 6th 2009 9:43AM Auctioneer is just too much of a pig and takes too much time. I'm a pretty casual player and I wasn't using Auctioneer because it just took too long to do anything.
Instead I've switched to AuctionLite. http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info12652-AuctionLite.html
MUCH simpler and easier. Scans in seconds and does what I need. Not as much functionality as Auctioneer - but I found that as soon as I dumped auctioneer and went to AuctionLite I was actually able to get a lot more buying and selling done.
Feb 26th 2009 2:14PM Krystallus is just too tough, I'm not sure the impale would even hurt him.
He is made of rock vs. squishy Troll guy. Advantage rock.