Aug 20th 2010 1:19AM wowhead looter + wowhead.com's web interface is what I used.
I noticed that all the other add-ons had a lot of quests that were listed incorrectly and required manual sorting of some type.
And then after I figured out which quests I would be going for... id end up at wowhead anyway to get information on where to go.
So it was definitely a huge bonus to have wowhead make my remaining quest list... then simply click on the quest to be redirected to user comments, map locations, pre-requisites and listings of the entire chains.
I strongly recommend everyone to try just the wowhead client! A person can even make their characters profile public and let their friends see how they are doing. It helps a lot if a loremaster can see which quests you have left and guide you to easy quest lines.
Mar 26th 2010 7:35PM Neither do I advocate a fresh, inexperienced healer to try and pull off heroics. Nor do I support rolling for off-spec gear and things of that nature without communication and agreement to the 5man party.
I just don't see the need to leave 101 disclaimers, that distract from my point.
Knowing how to play a healer means knowing what content they can handle. If they cant handle HOR, they shouldnt finish the quest to open it. (Same for POS... same for heroics.)
I fail to see any reason what so ever Nax or Uldar is even mentioned for a FRESH 80. That content can simply be skipped until the character simply does the 101 badge runs then once a nice point is reached, they can "go back" and start doing the weekly raids for them. Combined with the daily 2 frost badges, the person is ready to start working on ICC. That's Blizzards plan for us... that's what they want us to do.. they want new characters in ICC ~now~ so everyone can experience "end game."
Contrary to popular idiocy of PUG Raids.. 5K GS is not needed. I took a look at my old nax25 warrior tank with just over 3k GS and thought.. wow, we were able to do it with 3k, whats the problem these days? A person is just over 4k in 4T9 (and somewhat reasonable gear in other slots)
If your having problems with GS fools, get in a guild that has a spot for you.
Is T9 "perfect"? No.. but neither is any of the other gear, no matter how much people spend for it. We are talking small half percents.. we are talking new 80s.. we aren't talking Lich King killing death squads here.
People simply put WAY to much concern in the gear. Don't get me wrong, its VERY easy to get caught up in the whole process... if it wasn't Warcraft wouldn't be played by 11million people. I used to get all worked up and focused on what dropped, who got it.. drama drama bullcrap.. No more.. and its a lot more fun. (I still take my roles seriously, I still try for #1 DPS, or #1 Healing, or Nobody dies _ever_ as a Tank. I just know its not all about the gear anymore, Blizz has done good on that.)
Take note: A upgrade is a upgrade, even if its something like 0.5% of whatever.. but if you leave out say.. Moonfire out of the rotation, its going to be a much greater loss then completely taking off that item slot.
Bottom line: Spending all the gold just isn't necessary. The time to get the 50,000 gold could of been spent better spent mastering the class.
Example: We had a healer once, in a random. He had 5,100 GS. He could not manage to heal through Garoth in hPOS. We wiped twice.. my GF and I almost got him down on seal of light/judgment of light (that we cast ourselves) alone..both times. The second time I thought.. okay seriously.. whats going on? I inspected and saw a lot of crafted gear, proceed to ask him if he knew what sacred shield was.. he said no and it was a mistake to come. And he then dropped group. (I would of taught him some basics if he waited, and I wasn't mean about it.) Simple re-spec by GF and we blew through the rest of the instance 4man, just to prove the point. Dont be that guy. Starting out with "crap" gear teaches you how to use your tools.
Mar 26th 2010 2:00PM Another way to gear up quickly is to run as a spec healer.. just use your boom-kin gear.
Queue times will be 2 minutes compared to 20. End result is you gear up much faster.
Now before anyone tries to chop off my head or whatever there is some caveats to this!
1) Spec Resto, know how to play it!
2) Resto and Moon-Kin share a lot of the same gearing concepts.. not exactly of course but there is enough overlap to be okay. For example Haste is extremely important to resto.
3) Lots of tanks are simply out geared for the bulk of the heroics these days.. this is very important. In fact, many Resto druids can DPS (about 800-1000 DPS) why healing, in DPS gear with ease. (If they know what they are doing) At around 4k gear score. I am completely serious about this, without any exaggeration.
So why this bit of info isn't get item X to gear up, and its not really true to the nature of "I want to DPS not hea.l" If your looking to get into pre-raid gear ASAP and not spend 50,000 gold.. this is one way to "gear up" about twice as fast.
Mar 26th 2010 12:11PM I agree, this info is solid.
POS has a lot of drops, HOR might be scary... and a pain. (Stay LOS behind the tank!)
There is a couple of okay off-hands to pair up initially, even a BOE Prison Manifest to start out cheap immediately.
Mar 26th 2010 12:03PM Moon-Kin of course need Intelligence, and they get that by default on gear.
Intelligence value is far below the worth of Spell power and Crit. If you look at a spreadsheet called "WrathCalcs" it shows the relative DPS value of each stat.
Roughly Int is worth 0.5 DPS per point, why SP is around 1.2, and Crit 1.0 around the entry level raid level.
Your question was specifically about trinkets.
My opinion: Right now in the Warcraft community it seems Moon-kins are making the "trinket debate" a bit of a drama fest. Human nature I suppose.
See it in action here: http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-want-to-apologize-up-front-about.html
Notice in the end, the two trinkets are very very close in power. Sure there is better options, but the post is mostly a rant. Not much new is happening in Warcraft community when we _really_ get down to it, we are in a waiting period. So somethings are starting to slowly get sensationalized to make for good reading and conversation.
Mar 26th 2010 11:42AM "Throw 50,000 gold at your fresh 80" just doesn't seem very helpful to me, that's the bulk of your "guide." The rest is go to all the new ICC instances basically.
That completely skips out on a new-new player.. and there is still lots of those around.
My quick suggestions:
Some classes require knowledge of rotations and situational use of its abilities. Moon-kin is definitely one of these classes.
1) Learn the Eclipse rotation, knowing how to DPS.. and thus get gear is a huge part of gearing up. Not working with Eclipse will gimp DPS.
2) Know when to use Hurricane. (3-4+ mobs) Probably spec Gale Winds (Hurricane) and Typhoon. This is for heroics.. we know heroics turn into AOE fest. This is not what we do for raids generally.
3) Keep in mind most of the guides are written for the raider in mind. Understand why 400(+) haste is good but 263/237 hit rating is not specifically necessary, or even optimal WHEN GEARING UP A FRESH 80 AND NOT RAIDING. With balance of power talent, we only need 'like' 20-50 hit against heroic mobs. If you understand the specific requirements, you can use a piece that favors SP or Crit that will give more DPS during this phase of development.
3) The fresh 80 should have some decent rep from quests. Even though some of these elitist dorks may think your a newb if you wear some rep gear, who cares? (A large portion of boom-kin's DPS comes from knowing your rotations and situational uses. See #1 and #2) Some pieces are pretty nice. Additionally you need the head enchants anyway, and the rep comes free wearing the Tabard as your doing all this. Examples: Shroud of Dedicated Research (Honored - Kirin Tor) and Sandals of Crimson Fury (Exalted - Wyrmrest)
4) 2t9 Set bonus is a great fist goal. Make sure to spec into Improved Moonfire when you get it. (You can keep 2 points in Moonglow for mana issues before that.)
5) Idols were not mentioned.. [Idol of Lunar Fury] for 25 [Emblem of Triumph] probably after 2t9
Go here: http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t66856-moonkin_pve_dps_updated_3_3_3_a/
Jan 27th 2010 1:08AM It does seem the downloads are inconsistent.