Jul 3rd 2009 9:53AM epic yawn...
no real improvements coming in 3.2...
no real answer to counter melee in pvp...
no real answer to threat reduction in pve...
Jun 16th 2009 10:28PM LAME... (being polite but really want to say something else)
May 31st 2009 11:55PM An extremely well done article both on picking someone to interview with real insight and second for picking a minority represented class to give an entirely different perspective. The comments from both the interviewed warlock and the quoted warlock are far more insightful than most blue posts on the forums.
Mar 25th 2009 10:13PM Warning QQing ahead:
I will give WoW one more shot with patch 3.1 raiding and arena season 6.
Since WotLK was released, raiding was put on easy mode and is just plain boring...no challenge and no real sense of accomplishment. PVP is just down right frustrating with the inconsistencies from mysterious rating system, mysterious point awarding for matches to strange pairing of competition. Again no real sense of accomplishment. NOTE: OP comps have always existed in all the seasons, but the drop off in variety of comps and quantity of teams in Season 5 is dramatic.
Why should I pay Blizz $20 per month for facing rolling boredom on my keyboard or extreme frustration with arena these days when I can get that in real life? Seriously many of my buddies and now I are on the verge of the unthinkable, canceling our accounts. That is after investing a lot of time in leveling multiple toons to 70 then to 80.
Dec 31st 2008 6:50PM I love my warlock. I rolled a rogue first in WOW, but after getting to the low level twentys, I switched and leveled a warlock to 70 in Burning Crusade. When it came time to level to 80, I kept to the path of the lock. I PVP and PVE.
I leveled in full affliction from 70 to 80 (51/20/0). I now raid in the hybrid spec (0/28/43 or 0/41/30) and have through trial and error come to love Metamorphosis as my primary PVP spec (0/51/20).
I don't think the class is completely broken, but I do have a wish list of things to address:
1. Solve survivability for PVP Part I: Demonic Circle is half-baked before you took it out of the oven. Range is an issue. Cast time to set the circle should be instant, especially with only 40 yd range. It should get us out of blinds, stuns, snares, fears, you name it, similar to ice block or blink. Or change demonic circle to be a push back escape button, to get rogues off our backside or to get aggro away from us in raids.
2. Solve survivability for PVP Part II: Fear has been overly nerfed. I watch rogues laugh at me with their cloak o'shadows on or their huge dodge rating and nothing I do fear-wise will get them off me. Now 2 or 3 hits by a mutilate rogue and I'm down in less than 10 seconds. DKs, rogues and warriors seem to resist everything. I don't have a problem with my stamina being nerfed. I think lock stamina was an artificial way to solve survivability (like say a rogue carving my back side during stun-lock). I am sure Bizz can come up with options for Fear and Demonic Circle that would make them viable escape options.
3. PVP burst: Warlocks have only two spells (only one if not talent specced for) that are instant cast burst: Shadowflame (thank you!) and Shadowburn. Eliminate the shard cost for using Shadowburn.
4. Arena/bg prep: I think warlocks have the longest string of self-buffs, healthstone, spellstone, pet summonings of any class. I barely have enough time to prep myself, let alone buff, prep my partner(s). Where as with my rogue, apply poisons once to blades for one hour and gtg (I leveled my rogue to 70 after my warlock).
5. Talent tree Affliction: Personally I love affliction the best because DOTS are a defining talent for the class, but the spell rotation is complex (as well as watching tickers in raids to re-apply). Unstable Affliction should be instant cast or eliminate COA and replace it with an improved UA that inherits the benefits from both former spells. Hault is a great class defining end talent but likewise make it an instant cast. This seems to fit the profile of Affliction. DOT and run.
6. Talent tree Demonology: Metamorphosis is growing on me. I hated it at first. I've compensated for the bad UI with macros. Having to assign critical key bindings to attacks that can only be used for 30 seconds every 4 minutes is tough.
7. Talent tree Destruction: This tree is better with more fire viability. I haven't seen where going a full 51 points for Chaos Bolt is worth it. I get better DPS out of hybrid spec (0/28/43 or 0/41/30). And the 5 points in Fire and Brimstone is gimped at the moment, not worth the point investment IMO. See my next suggestion below for perhaps better talent options for Destruction.
8. Warlock pets: The changes in pets so far have been minimal and haven't gotten enough luv as compared to Hunters pets. I'm not suggesting that lock pets need to mirror hunter pets, but I think Blizz could go further to make warlock pets more distinctive and with more variety by talent tree. For example, the Felguard is the demo defining pet. Why not go further with some pet luv for Affliction and Destruction. For example, how about a talent option to put out a trio or quartet of Imps (for 30 secs?) that can put out some serious burst dam? Or a trio of Succubus to seduce multiple targets? Mmmm.... Or what about a demon you can summon deep in the Destruction tree, like a blob that engulfs a target, holding it in place and that can be exploded for AOE to snare other targets or cause push back? Or exploded like tar flying everywhere then a lock or partner (with fire spell) can ignite the targets for fire damage? MUUHHHAHAHA!!! Give us back some fear factor in Destruction.
9. Soul Shards: Every lock seems to complain about it. Add my gripe to the list. Especially since you gave rogues the easy way out for purchasing poisons. HINT: Have shards take up far less bag space like stacking them, 1o to a stack. I routinely have to stop in the middle of arena time or bg time to go farm more shards. And a 10 or 25 Nax run will easily eat 15-20 shards without even blinking.
Nov 8th 2008 1:37PM Super size my pet please
Nov 8th 2008 8:49AM happy feet!
Nov 6th 2008 7:24PM polar bear cool!
Nov 6th 2008 7:58AM Go WowInsider! Go Lich King!
Aug 31st 2008 5:12PM Arena is simply broken. My partner and played about 70 matches today and we encountered half of the teams with at least one player in nearly full brutal/veng running another partner up the ranks. We basically went 50/50. Those trying to honestly play and build skill and rank are penalized by the arena team re-rolling that is going on. Yes melee on a caster sucks but gear imbalance just makes ridiculously over the top stupid.