Apr 3rd 2012 1:45PM I love to pvp! As others have said, every single battle is different -- it can be heartbreaking or exhilarating, but it's always different! Compare it to pve, which starts hard, but then becomes repetitive and easy. Boring.
I think the reason a lot of people "hate" pvp is because: 1) they don't have the gear 2) they think they need a "rotation" 3) they are not used to the speed 4) their pvp experience is limited to random bgs -- which is like saying raiding is bad when all you've ever run are LFR pugs.
If would like to try, and maybe love it like I do, here are some suggestions.
1) convert all your pve points to honor/conquest. If you pve a lot, you probably have a ton you don't know what to do with. Grab as much pvp gear as you can.
2) read up on your spec. Use the best pvp spec out there, see what the gemming and stat priorities are.
3) you will be using many more spells and abilities than you do in pve. find out your core moves, and put the extras to the side. As you become more comfortable, try to use more and more of those other abilities.
3) find a buddy. someone who you have fun with, win or lose. use vent or skype with them -- typing is way too slow, and it's much more fun to talk to someone!
4) step into the arena. yes, really. You have only yourself and your buddy to rely on -- this is unlike pug bgs, where the battle is mostly out of your control. When you have the control, it is a **lot** more fun. Believe it!
You will probably be crushed at first. Don't worry about it, just have the mindset that you will have fun no matter what. There are no big repair bills in pvp, and matches in 2s are quick.
The speed will be overwhelming. Just play for the fun of it! You've pushed against that unbeatable raid boss for weeks before -- this is no different. You will get used to the speed. You will get used to the movement. You just need practice.
Olivia's pvp columns are great! Read up on them at your leisure, see if there is some insight you can glean.
Good luck, and I hope to see you in the arena. :)
Feb 24th 2012 11:57AM @Shinae
Much better data collection; they use the Blizzard APIs, not buggy addons like Warcraft Realms.
Feb 1st 2012 5:25PM Is aerial ganking still possible? One of my favorite pvp vids is Top Gun Rogues
I'm inspired to create some kind of weird aerial gank build.
Jan 27th 2012 3:58PM This list is aimed at rogues, but it contains weapons other melee classes can use.
Personally, I love the look of the Ceremonial Warmaul Blood-Blades.
You can also use the MogIt addon to search for glowing weapons.
Jan 26th 2012 11:39AM Of course they do. Every mage knows those delicious tears make the best water elementals.
Jan 15th 2012 12:45AM Aislinana, where are you blogging now? I always loved reading Empowered Fire.
Both you and Metaneira (along with the eminent Archmage Pants) helped my mage grow so much during Wrath!
Jan 15th 2012 12:38AM I'll second this! The site is:
I always head there after getting a new piece of gear, in order to optimize my reforging.
Plus, he's a robot! Not sure if he wears pants, though.
Jan 11th 2012 12:05AM @Arturis
The Dynamic Events of Guild Wars 2 is almost exactly what you describe. :-)
Check out some of the movies for more detail.
Jan 9th 2012 3:01PM I'd say go to 70. If you love pvp, the 70s scene is thriving. Waiting time for random bgs is only a few minutes. You can do arena, too. There are a bunch of level 70 guilds who raid -- the pve pieces are very good for pvp.
Check out the battlegrounds section of the forums and look for the 70s thread.
Dec 18th 2011 9:47AM Daniel, what about the Renegade Mail for your hunter?