Skip to Content

WoW Insider has the latest on the Mists of Pandaria!
  • staffan.johansson
  • Member Since Aug 9th, 2009

Are you staffan.johansson? If So, Login Here.

BlogComments
WoW209 Comments

Recent Comments:

The Light and How to Swing It: It's the end of block as we know it {WoW}

Mar 10th 2012 5:19AM In a vacuum, it would mean that. A tank with 40% miss/dodge/parry and 60% block will today never take a solid hit, at worst it would be blocked and thus mitigated. Using the same numbers, Mists would give the same character 40% chance of not being hit at all, 36% chance of a blocked hit, and 24% chance of a solid hit.

Of course, the designers are aware of that, and will probably fuss around with various numbers so all five tank specs work out more or less the same.

The Queue: Everything is better with a ukulele {WoW}

Mar 7th 2012 5:19PM Worked like a charm. Mercy bucket!

The Queue: Everything is better with a ukulele {WoW}

Mar 6th 2012 4:54PM Did WOW Insider change something recently with CSSes or something? It used to be that if I went here on my phone, I got a page that just had the article headers, and if I clicked on any of them I got to a page specifically formatted for phone reading (no margins and such). But now I get the regular page, just crappily formatted and such because it's not meant to be viewed on a 3.5" screen.

Know Your Lore, TFH Edition: The naaru are a menace that must be destroyed {WoW}

Mar 4th 2012 4:21PM I guess I'm not the only one who saw the similarity in the article :)

Ghostcrawler explains stat changes in Mists of Pandaria {WoW}

Mar 2nd 2012 8:16AM Here's how I understand it:

1. An ungeared warrior is hitting a boss with his sword from behind. There's a 7.5% chance he'll miss because of pure miss chance, and a 7.5% chance he'll miss because the boss dodged. He'll need 7.5% Hit and 7.5% Expertise to negate this chance. This is pretty much the same as today, except the numbers will be a little different.

2. An ungeared hunter is shooting a boss. There's a 7.5% chance he'll miss because of pure miss chance, and a 7.5% chance he'll miss because the boss dodged. He'll need 7.5% Hit and 7.5% Expertise to negate this chance. This is different from today.

3. A mage is casting a fireball at a boss. There's a 15% chance he'll miss. He'll need 15% combined Hit and Expertise to negate this. Mage gear isn't likely to have much in the way of Expertise though, but it might open up avenues for reforging (if a piece of gear has hit and crit on it, you could reforge some crit into expertise and get the same benefit as if you reforged it into hit).

Now, here comes the part that's actually an improvement.

4. An enhancement shaman is fighting a boss. When he's hitting it with his axe, he has a 7.5% chance of miss and 7.5% chance of dodge, for a total of 15%, negated by a combination of hit and expertise. When he's casting a flame shock, there's a 15% chance of a miss, also negated by a combination of hit and expertise.

In Cataclysm, ignoring talents and such, a mage needs 1742 Hit rating to always hit with his spells. A warrior attacking from behind needs 961 Hit rating + 781 Expertise rating = 1742. But in order to max a shaman's damage, you need both the 1742 hit rating for his spells, AND the 781 expertise rating for melee, for a total of 2523 points of rating. This is what the Mists system aims to change.

And yeah, there are talents and spec abilities to help out with these things, like Unleashed Rage for shamans and Touched by the Light/Sheath of Light for paladins. Those are crutches - having spells and melee work on the same scale to begin with is a much smarter choice.

Bring another game's items into WoW {WoW}

Jan 12th 2012 9:03PM Mjölner. Or maybe Stormbringer.

Know Your Lore: The top 10 lore reveals of Cataclysm, part 2 {WoW}

Jan 4th 2012 5:17PM Warlord Zon'Ozz mentions him during the fight. And he's been mentioned in novels and stuff, as being the thing beneath Vash'jir that's helping the Naga capture and defeat Neptulon.

WoW Moviewatch: Code Monkey {WoW}

Dec 9th 2011 2:21PM I like the dance version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLRBiEBRAc

The Queue: In which Adam recently discovered The Big Bang Theory {WoW}

Dec 6th 2011 11:31AM @Wellsee: When the huge predatory dragon has powers to control the earth itself, I'm thinking that inside a mountain would be the wrong place to be.