Jun 10th 2011 6:45PM I'd like to clarify something:
While it is true that you need to be in Solar to AOE DPS, the "keep dots up, bounce between eclipse, and use cooldowns on cooldowns" will...be competitive DPS, and well ahead of the tanks, in nearly every fight in the game.
It won't be incredibly good, but the rest of this gaming you can safely ignore, and still do perfectly fine on, for virtually all of the encounters in the game.
You will not be terrible. You just won't be a god. Don't tell Gozer that though.
May 17th 2011 5:35PM Allison's 9 Predictions (and their Truth or False):
1. The "plate gut" isn't fated to last: Sorry, but as best as I can tell, it is still going strong. I do think, in general, that the way plate is designed is going to skew toward this prediction always being wrong - at least for this expansion.
2. Savage Defense/Vengeance/block get tinkered with a bunch: yep. True.
3. The tanking forums will debate about it: since the above is true, this is true by the Law of the Internet. Though the word "debate" is not the one I would use.
4. Dungeon Finder wait times are going to get ugly: True.
1. Cats have a bright future in rated battlegrounds (until we get nerfed): True on both accounts.
1. Not competitive raid healers immediately: I'm not sure if the validity of this. Of our healers, I've seen our Druid healer more easily keep up four people on the Nefarian platform in 10 man than our Disc Priest or Holy Paladin can keep up three.
2. Mandatory Tank Healers: again, not sure the truth here. On the reverse of the above, our Druid is assigned to the tanks on Chimaeron. And he heals the OT in phase 3 Nef. I do see some of this, I guess, but I struggle to see how the Druid is not just a good all around healer - that simply can tank heal quite well.
3. Our Mastery Bonus will get changed again: This article is about it being true. ;)
4. It'll be a patch or two before we see new Tree Forms: Sorry Allison, but no, this was False.
Still, only two really direct Falses is pretty good. And if the article were written closer to Cataclysm launch, one wouldn't have been mentioned. So grats for all the correct predictions. :)
May 15th 2011 7:42PM An easier explanation for the problem is that the Scythe in Northrend was...
*Romulan* ...A FAKE!
So it never left Duskwood where it was recovered and ended up in the hands of the Worgen of Gilneas, presumably it's ultimate fate as that is the last anyone has heard of it. Nothing in Northrend indicates its the real Scythe of Elune, so it could be all we handed over to the Worgen of Northrend was just a plain old standard scythe, which they believed to be the real deal.
That's my interpretation anyway.
May 14th 2011 10:07PM Teaches me to reply to someone when very tired: I called it the encounter general when I meant encounter journal. Wonderful. :|
May 14th 2011 5:28PM The encounter general designates her as the Broodmother of the Cinderweb spiders.
So you win. :)
May 2nd 2011 10:41PM There is a difference in when a PTR hits and when the patch will go live. I'd still bet the patch will be on the PTR for over one month, good chance at closer to two since that was the length of what is thought to be a patch with much less content, 4.1.
I don't think anyone thought the PTR was going to hit two months after 4.1. And if they did, they were ridiculous.
Apr 26th 2011 1:34PM The Balance Druid effectively just involves five abilities: two DoTs (Insect Swarm and Moonfire), two nukes (Starfire and Wrath), and a CD ability (Starsurge). Really, you will be switching between Wrath and Starfire, so the rotation is more or less the nuke, the dots, and the proc. That doesn't mean it's incredibly boring and uninteresting, because the Balance rotation was built from the idea that we only had access to three (no Starsurge back in Wrath), and melee have their own considerations.
When he says four abilities, what he likely means is four abilities + CDs + situational powers + other awesome. Trust me, despite having a four ability rotation, my action bars are stuffed to the brim like everyone else's.
Apr 24th 2011 7:35PM There is an Alliance explanation to most of the things many of the readers are commenting on. Since that is next week, I'll wait until next week to talk about it. :)
Instead, I'll just point out that it's not like the Tauren aren't getting owned by the Horde as well. Bloodvenom Post was ransacked by a Forsaken gone mad, and Cliffwalker Post was annihilated by war hungry Horde commander and his forces. While both of these evildoers are brought to justice, many Horde tend to forget that the Tauren aren't just losing settlements and getting killed because of the Alliance.
Apr 15th 2011 5:29PM Patience. Between waiting for the amazing Alliance naval forces, dealing with people not knowing boss encounters, beating most of the raid to the instance entrance, epics not dropping, and all of the other deliberate and non deliberate timesinks in this game, I've gained a tremendous ability to accept waiting, tolerate others, and acknowledge the world does not revolve around me.
On the reverse, cynicism and apathy. Simply put, I'm far less caring about anything in particular, and tend to both get far less worked up and be far more distant from everything around me. Too many people disregarding others because, hey, it's an online relationship, too many people raging and having a nice look in an old mirror. On the same vein, I have a much lower opinion of just about everything about life, and have developed an overactive tendency to find gray clouds in silver linings, developing a firm grasp of cynicism. I honestly partially hate WoW for helping both of those along to where they are.