Nov 1st 2011 5:05PM Stone. Of. Jordan. That is all.
Jan 6th 2011 12:05PM Fox,
Have you put any thought in to a utility article for shadowpriests? I've been reading your articles for some time, and just went back and had a look at the hybrid tax article. It discusses how we are sometimes stuck with lower DPS, because we play a jack-of-most-trades role, and I think an article expanding on that would be a good read.
I commented on a post in Officer's quarters discussing the various non-dps things that shadowpriests can (and should) be doing to make heroics easier on the group. You can look it up for more details if you're interested, but being the busy man you are, I'll TL;DR it.
Some topics that come to mind:
How to/when to off-heal, when the healer is running dry/CC'd/dead (I know, healing is gross :D)
Using both hymns effectively to prevent wipes and keep your healers bars nice and blue
Leap of faith usage (not enough priests use this, shadowpriests are notorious for forgetting about this ability)
Additonal options for above point: specific instances/mechanics where LoF is particularly useful (Grim Batol has several mechanics that can be much simpler [read: cake] with smart Life Grip usage.)
Dispel/Mass Dispel usage
I just want to do my part make sure that people don't see shadowpriests as recount-watching simpletons, and actually do their part to make heroic groups easier. We've got lots of tools to help. Hope this piques your interest. :D
Jan 4th 2011 10:56AM "They work together additively, so with 50% from Meditation and 40% from Holy Concentration, holy priests get 90% of their out-of-combat regen, in combat. Keep in mind that Holy Concentration was recently buffed to 40% from 20% at max ranks. In-game tooltips will not reflect this, since the buff was implemented through a hotfix, not a patch."
I'll go ahead and extend your quote to include the next sentence to answer that.
Jan 4th 2011 10:53AM "Keep in mind that Holy Concentration was recently buffed to 40% from 20% at max ranks. In-game tooltips will not reflect this, since the buff was implemented through a hotfix, not a patch."
Please read the whole article, it's literally the next sentence.
YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT, DONNY
Jan 3rd 2011 4:36PM Listen up, shadowpriests:
As hybrids, we are solid at multiple roles within a dungeon, and actively switching roles is important.
1. Be prepared to heal. There have been numerous times, where a good healer, accidentally gets caught up in a boss mechanic/gets cc'd by a mob, etc. You should have your heals on your bars, ready to help out. There have been many wipes I've saved this way. Mana is much less of an issue for shadow; the few thousand mana you throw out in emergency heals can be made up for with SW : D, dispersion, shadowfiend, hymn of hope, etc.
2. Along the same note, DIVINE HYMN is your friend. Seriously, use it. It's amazing at catching up a group that's behind because of mechanics or random AOE dmg.
3. Leap of Faith. It is our defining ability, and has much more use in these Cata heroic mechanics than it ever would have in Wrath.
Some examples that come to mind: Drahga Shadowburner, 3rd boss in H Grim Batol. If the adds are gaining on a dps/healer who is oblivious, pull them to the other side of the room to give your group time to dps the add.
Same instance, last boss, Erudax, useful for pulling slow tanks/melee in to the eye before shadow gale. Think about it.
4. If there's no disc priest (or holy, kinda), drop a shield on dps when you can. You won't drop form, and while it's not much, it might save them from dying to random aoe.
5. Dispel and Mass Dispel. Healers get behind. If you see them struggling, dispel a few debuffs/dots from the dps/tank. They'll appreciate it. Mass Dispel is invaluable on fights with group snares/dots. Asaad, in VP, comes to mind. 1.5 (less if glyphed) seconds, to pull all the static cling. Your healers will love you.
Use these tips to keep people from thinking you're a meter-watching button masher.
Dec 29th 2010 9:56AM Gotta have memory to make it a Memory Christmas! SEE WHAT I DID THAR
Dec 7th 2010 3:12PM DISCO FEVUH
Dec 7th 2010 3:05PM *sells soul for video card