Sep 22nd 2008 8:10AM There is a massive difference between the release of a buggy, unfinished dungeon of the variety that was release for EQ, particularly the one that Tigole's rant was about, and the art work not being completed for release on a single Shaman spell.
The OP was posting a shaman issue in the General forums, and moreso, was trying to start an unproductive thread.
I'm amazed at all the dumb people posting here that are siding with the poster. The poster's remark was clearly not constructive and broke the forums rules. This means it wastes developer's times when trying to read the forums. So, all you people that think the OP shouldn't get banned, next time you complain about something not being fixed or that blue didn't read your thread, remember: You asked for them to spend their time reading threads designed to start flame wars.
Aug 19th 2008 9:30PM Lower ranked spells are still useful outside of conserving mana.
Aug 19th 2008 9:29PM They never liked it. They tried nerfing it.
The problem was balance. Before the nerf, balancing had to account for the down ranked spells and buffs were based around people using down ranked spells.
With down ranking finished, they can better balance.
Moreso, down ranking really just dumbed down play in PvE. Sorry, but spamming down ranked heals an entire fight is not skillful in anyway.
Aug 19th 2008 9:26PM 1. It's hardly any cash, and makes no real difference.
2. Rogues/Warriors have suffered this for a LONG time.
3. Lower rank abilities still have uses besides lowered mana cost.
Aug 19th 2008 9:25PM "I use rank 1 scorch in raids to stack the fire debuff on a boss, not because of its mana cost or cast time, but because it causes virtually no threat and so I can do it during the pull without the chance of aggroing it and thus meaning that I can start dps straight away."
Accept this is already account for in the expansion. Moreso, if you mages want a low aggro way to get this buff up, they should ask for it.
Basically, down ranking isn't the problem.
Aug 19th 2008 6:06PM "I don't see why everyone who normally (ab)uses the mechanic of a cheap spell with an identical proc to a higher level spell should get a rebate on it."
Aug 19th 2008 6:04PM Answer to each of your four paragraphs.
1. They aren't. The are selectively adding back in spells that accomplish something that want with the class. Just because shaman are getting a counter doesn't mean all classes are getting replacements of every spell. And no, it's not stupid. It's rather smart and critical to doing what they said they would do.
2. Down ranking is still useful. Take a lower ranked spell with a faster cast time (Frostbolt, for example). It could also be used in some cases so apply debuffs while something is still CC'ed via Ice Trap or something. And yes, you can damage things in ice trap in wrath. It's intended. If you didn't know this, you've really no right to have an opinion on down ranking as you clearly don't know the whole story.
3. Because it's an unintuitive skill set that actually helps to promote poor game play. People put a lot of stock into choosing the right rank to avoid over healing and other rubbish. The truth is, it's actually much more mindless to down rank and spam heals all day long without a care. Down ranking was smart only because it worked; it was not, however, any measure of skill. The only thing it did was show who spent time reading what others had learned. So yeah, it showed who was a good sheep and couldn't think for themselves.
4. Clearly, you don't understand what they are doing. Honestly, if you don't understand why they are doing what they are doing, and what they are doing, your opinion is just flat wrong and uninformed.
Jun 7th 2007 4:10PM @6, Ryan,
I agree, priests are still needing changes, and I do believe you are going to continue seeing that. The danger is overdoing those changes and suddenly seeing all that hard work at being a shadow priest go down the drain.
Jun 7th 2007 4:08PM @blackangely2k
You enjoy ignoring things and making stuff up, don't you? It doesn't take intelligence to level up multiple characters, you are proof of this.
Regardless, intent and implementation are two different things. The dev's, and blue, have stated on numerous occasions that priests are intended to be the premier healers. Now if this isn't working as intended, they will work to correct it.
But please, continue to put words into my mouth.
After all, you claimed I was trying to say warlocks and mages should be called hybrids...
"but let's be honest, no one is going so far to say these classes are hybrids (and certainly not me.)"
Anyways, argue what you will. You're still wrong.
Jun 7th 2007 4:01PM @blackangely2k
"he mentions a few gimmick encounters as reaons to call mages or locks hybrids as well."
No I don't. You might consider actually "reading" said article before replying.
Indeed, you can argue all you want, but it bears repeating. Priests are "one of the pure role classes in the 'Holy Trinity'."