One of the features that is in patch 4.0.1
is the new reforging feature. This allows you to adjust armor, weapons and trinkets to better line up with the stats you need. The whole concept essentially allows more gear to be used instead of disenchanted. It also allows you to game your stats a little bit more by turning an item that would be providing way too much hit rating into something that provided some hit rating and critical strike rating.
There are a few restrictions:
- You can only change secondary stats (hit, crit, haste, mana regen, dodge, etc.).
- Only one stat may be changed.
- You can't change one stat into a different stat the item already has.
- You can't alter how much of the stat to change; it's always 40 percent(ish) of the original amount.
- The item must have an item level of at least 200 (level 80 epics or higher).
Otherwise, the price of reforging is the same as the sell price of the item. You can always restore an item back to its original stats for free if you decide you don't like the new setup. This allows you to try out different setups (paying the full reforge cost each time) until you find the right fit.
Where can you find these reforging guys? They are usually found in major cities near the enchanting trainers. If you can't find them, be sure to ask a guard, who'll point you in the right direction.
All in all, the reforging system is pretty simple and provides the opportunity for us to start trying out the new mastery stat without waiting for Cataclysm
itself to be released. If you'd like to take a look at how this works, here's a gallery walking you the process through step by step.
Filed under: Analysis / Opinion