Posts with tag gating
This was actually an offhand remark of Ghostcrawler's a few days ago, but it didn't seem to get much attention. In a thread devoted to the possibility of extending buffs like Blessing of Kings to additional classes in Cataclysm, Ghostcrawler mentioned the following:
A month after patch 3.3 and Icecrown Citadel dropped, Lume the Mad weighs in on its raid content with mixed feelings. Icecrown's story, art, music, and general encounter design are all fantastic, he observes, but Blizzard's approach to "gating" content is having an ugly effect on raids. When you've only got 10-15 shots at killing specific bosses, small issues rarely stay that way for long. "I have to pressure people with lag to sit so as not to potentially lose a shot at killing the boss," he writes. "And when someone makes the most innocent of mistakes, people get pissed off. It's not fun for them. And it's not fun for me as a result."
That's the part of the gating system -- "Raiders (having) the fear of God struck into them for wiping just once," as Lume puts it -- of which I'm not overly fond myself. A key raider lagging or disconnecting can result in a wipe on much of this content, and more particularly on the two bosses (Putricide and Lana'thel) for whom limited attempts currently exist. Both command very high DPS requirements, so even if you can easily afford the loss of a laggy DPS or two on something like Festergut (which is pretty baldly a DPS check in its own right), a single person going offline on Lana'thel-25 can wreck both the attempt and peoples' nerves. Losing 4 Blood-Queen Lana'thel attempts last week due to the bug with Kinetic Bombs aggroing her through the ceiling during the Council fight was equally frustrating.
There are a lot of questions out there about how gating in Icecrown Citadel will work, and how attunement to the 5-man instances will function.
We've collected some of the most common questions and put them in an F.A.Q. format for you to look at. After the break we'll answer them, or you can click on the links to be immediately taken to the answer.
- How do you define gated content?
- What content is gated in patch 3.3?
- Can I do heroic Icecrown right away?
- How long until Icecrown Citadel is completely open? When will I be able to fight Arthas?
- What content requires attunement in patch 3.3?
- I'm still confused about the 5-man attunement, can you phrase it another way?
- Will the Dungeon Finder let me ignore attunement (or other requirements)?
- What quest chains do I need to do to get access to the heroic version of the Icecrown Citadel raids?
- What quest chains do I need to do to get access to the normal or heroic version of the 5-man Frozen Halls dungeons?