- Mists of Pandaria sells 2.7 million copies, pushing World of Warcraft above 10 million active players
- Arena season 12 has begun
- Normal-mode Mogu'Shan Vaults is now active
- Level cooking from one to zen with Sungshin Ironpaw
- How to level the Ways of cooking
- 10 most common names for monks
- Reputation changes planned for an upcoming patch
- Breakfast Topic: Which 85 are you leaving behind?
Posts with tag mogushan-vaults
WoW Insider: State your name and position!
Ion Hazzikostas: My name is Ion Hazzikostas and I am the lead encounter designer for World of Warcraft.
What does that job entail?
I'm the lead on the encounter team, which is self-explanatory; we make the dungeon and raid content, primarily. We're specialists in multiplayer PVE combat. On top of the dungeons and raids, we also help with outdoor raid bosses, scenario bosses, things like that.
What would you say that your biggest goal going into Mists of Pandaria was?
Particularly on the dungeon and raid front, to provide content for everybody, for all kinds of players. And we recognize that there's a massive spectrum of millions of people who are playing and enjoying World of Warcraft - a huge range of skill, frankly, and time commitment, the whole casual-hardcore spectrum people always talk about. And one of the things that we've been doing over the evolution of the game is to add additional difficulties, additional ways of consuming that content. So, you know, we now have LFR, normal, and heroic raids, and now we've introduced challenge modes, a sort of new tier of actually legitimately difficult five-player content. It's one of the biggest differences from Cataclysm at launch; one of the things we heard from people who were in guilds with friends and they'd say "these dungeons are awesome, we're having a lot of fun" ... but the people who queued up in Dungeon Finder would have a miserable time.
Filed under: Mists of Pandaria
Will you and your guild be raiding tonight? Or are you too busy with all of the other Mists of Pandaria content?
The most recent Blizzard Insider interviews Scott Mercer and Ion Hazzikostas, lead encounter designers, to discuss the Mogu'shan Vaults raid coming with the release of Mists of Pandaria. Quite a few details about the upcoming raid are to be had, including the following:
- It will launch with the raid finder, 10-man and 25-man normal, and 10-man and 25-man heroic modes, for a total of five different modes for the raid.
- "Observant players may even notice a certain 'titanic' influence in lair's defenses."
- Since the mogu (and most other Mists of Pandaria races and settings) are entirely new with this expansion, the design team had to design their "kits," the kinds of monsters and art you'd expect to see in dungeons featuring them. The mogu kit includes the terracotta warriors, the quilien statues, and certain Titan-based themes.