Patch 0.8 was released to World of Warcraft beta servers in July 2004. The game was still taking shape at that point in time, but development of the base product had come far enough that Blizzard could finally start adding additional layers of complexity. Warriors and mages were the first classes to receive talent trees, and that happened in this patch.
Other notable additions in patch 0.8 include ...
- Players who died in PvP against a player or PvP-flagged NPC had to wait in time-out for 2 minutes before they could resurrect via corpse retrieval.
- The level cap was raised to 50.
- Sunken Temple and Razorfen Downs were opened and itemized.
- Rogues lost the ability to use bucklers (shields).
- Tauren were given the Plainsrunning ability.